What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Help me diagnose this build!

bigd33ns

Hi,

I built a new PC 2 months ago, and while I don't post often here, I'm no newbie. The setup is as follows :

Core i3 3.1ghz
Gigabyte B75M-D2H mobo
8GB Kingston DDR3 Ram (2x4gb)
Hitachi 1TB HDD
Coolermaster 460w PSU
DVDRW
USB 2.0 PCI card (to add an USB header to the system).

System has been having problems since I gave it to the customer. Problems were freezes in windows, instant restarts without BSOD, computer locks-up before or during loading windows.

I took it back for repair last month, and I diagnosed no problems at all here. I update her mobo BIOS (a new version came out in the meantime) and I give her back and install everything at her place correctly, including properly installing drivers for her printer and whatnot.

Last week, still having the same issues but now she can't boot. Go to her place, diagnose the computer and I find out that the hard drive was knocking hard. Bad HDD so I install a new Seagate 1TB in, completely reinstall anything from scratch and once I was done, after some windows update s and reboots, the motherboard makes continuous beep sounds while booting. I makes more than 25 of it then shuts down. After 5-6 tries, it finally boots and then proceeds to enter windows flawlessly. After a couple of other reboots, it makes the same thing again. I take the computer back at home with a no so happy customer.

So I order a new motherboard, same one, and a new PSU. I install them and guess what, same problem. I remove the USB add-on card and same problem occurs.

So bottom line, I am currently debating myself if the CPU is the problem because it seems that way AFAIK.

Can a CPU be defective while only behaving improperly intermitantly?. Do you have any suggestions or comments about my issue?

terrybear

Banned
Hi,

I built a new PC 2 months ago, and while I don't post often here, I'm no newbie. The setup is as follows :

Core i3 3.1ghz
Gigabyte B75M-D2H mobo
8GB Kingston DDR3 Ram (2x4gb)
Hitachi 1TB HDD
Coolermaster 460w PSU
DVDRW
USB 2.0 PCI card (to add an USB header to the system).

System has been having problems since I gave it to the customer. Problems were freezes in windows, instant restarts without BSOD, computer locks-up before or during loading windows.

I took it back for repair last month, and I diagnosed no problems at all here. I update her mobo BIOS (a new version came out in the meantime) and I give her back and install everything at her place correctly, including properly installing drivers for her printer and whatnot.

Last week, still having the same issues but now she can't boot. Go to her place, diagnose the computer and I find out that the hard drive was knocking hard. Bad HDD so I install a new Seagate 1TB in, completely reinstall anything from scratch and once I was done, after some windows update s and reboots, the motherboard makes continuous beep sounds while booting. I makes more than 25 of it then shuts down. After 5-6 tries, it finally boots and then proceeds to enter windows flawlessly. After a couple of other reboots, it makes the same thing again. I take the computer back at home with a no so happy customer.

So I order a new motherboard, same one, and a new PSU. I install them and guess what, same problem. I remove the USB add-on card and same problem occurs.

So bottom line, I am currently debating myself if the CPU is the problem because it seems that way AFAIK.

Can a CPU be defective while only behaving improperly intermitantly?. Do you have any suggestions or comments about my issue?

I've been having the highlighted thing in your posting occuring to me alot in the last week now ... It makes me wonder if its something in SP1 or a recent update thats doin it ..

bigd33ns

I've been having the highlighted thing in your posting occuring to me alot in the last week now ... It makes me wonder if its something in SP1 or a recent update thats doin it ..

Could be, but the motherboard beeping also indicates something wrong at a lower level than the OS.

ZZLEE

Are you trying the board on the cardboard box. It sounds like maybe a power or ground to me.
Check all motherboard connectors and seat on chip and RAM.

bigd33ns

Inside the case unfortunately.

I guess i'll try it on the cardboard box, completely forgot to try that.

wirerogue

have you analyzed the beep codes? that should tell you exactly what's going on.

bigd33ns

have you analyzed the beep codes? that should tell you exactly what's going on.

Beep code is simply POWER ERROR from what I gathered, which is an infinite amount of smal beeps until a shut down.

Also, Event Viewer does not gives any substancial system errors.