What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

How to Share the Root of a Drive Under Vista

Orkie

Thanks - this is a wife saver

Venturing into the Vista Rapids setting up my wife's computer and it is tough! Thanks for the thorough job in showing how to share a drive. Tried the MS solution but of course it didn't work.
:clap:

shibumi

Thanks for this info, im glad i was able to find this forum thread rather quickly on google i was having problems sharing my ext hdd on my network an this helped a great deal. one thing i would like to note, after you click on the advanced tab an click the find now button the only 2 i had to add were NETWORK and NETWORK SERVICE, in reality both might not be needed but those are the 2 i added first at the same time. after which the system did a quick scan of the HDD and bam it worked over the network.... when i have more time ill test an figure out which of the 2 is needed granted it might be both, in any case you could create a new group containing those 2 called networkgroup or such and use that instead of adding them to the everyone group, granted if only one is needed then all youd have todo is add that specific group to the shared permissions, tho most people might find it easier to just add them to the everyone group. just thought id put it out there. but thanks again

hugolpr

Many thanks

I would like to thank for the tip. I have spent many hours reading tons of tips saying to change registers in Vista, and the solution was only a couple of clicks away.

Usually I never register in forums, but I confess it was the best!!!

Great!

HUGO

brianc

Thanks for the tip about sharing the root of a drive. I wanted to point out though that the root of each drive is already shared if you have file sharing turned on in vista. You don't have to manually share a drive's root. For example, the share name for C: is C$, the D: drive uses the share name D$, etc. I found this out in the computer management window. I have attached a screen shot of what my window shows to illustrate where I found this. I am currently only sharing a printer. I'm not sharing any folders, but as you can see, the root of each drive on my computer is shared already. I have only one hard drive but it has two partitions, C: which has the operating system and D: which I store my files on.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,229

Vamp9190

That would be nice, except, I don't have the "Groups or user name" called "Everyone".

Try it the other way around. Look at the properties for the hard drive. Then tick the share check box. Then name it and look to see if the Share button is available or grayed out.

If it is greyed out, look below that and click advanced, once you look at the permissions, 'Everyone' should already be listed. If it is not, click add and just type the word everyone, then click OK.

If you do see everyone in the Sharing permissions area, now click on the 'Security' tab and type the word 'Everyone' in the box and click add. It will then add Everyone to the list (you may have to click the pop-up dialog boxes first).

You have to manually type Everyone -- that is the point I am making, there is not automatically a list to choose from.

Jannoth

Another Grateful Ally

I've saved this page and referred to it about 10m times now as my LAN changes and grows. So,

a) ZERO points to MS for making something so difficult and illogical that intelligent people can't do it without pages of notes (unless they do it all the time)

b) 1000 points to the author for putting millions of us out of our miseries.

Seems that it was a mistake to buy Vista (now on 3 of my PCs). Maybe I should have stuck with XP SP2 cos it sounds like even MS have given up on Vista in favour of v7 :sad:

Thanks again :clap:

andyblair1972

You sir, are a genius!

Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

6 :censored: hours I spent trying to sort this :censored: out! Both my pcs only narrowly avoided ending up in the carpark via the window.

truckerj

Well, What can I say. We have 4 computers here, all hooked up to a router. I registered just to be able to respond to your help. Wow!!! Looked everywhere & found nothing that worked. Found your solution, tried it on one puter & it worked flawlessly. So now we have all 4 puters running perfectly as a network.. Thank you, thank you, thatnk you. Oh BTW did I forget to say THANK YOU? Have a wonderful day...:clap:

stromm

First, I know this is a few week late, but what this thread says to do is NOT safe. There's a reason why Microsoft doesn't default access to include the EVERYONE group on the Security tab. Not intending to be mean or anything, but anyone with even a basic understanding of computer security will know why.

As defined by best security practices across not just the computer world, but also professional, business, property, military, civil, etc - "Go from most secure to least secure". What this means is only give access to SPECIFIC people, accounts, users AS NEEDED and WHEN NEEDED. This is not just a concept used by Microsoft. It's used by banks, military, anyone who follows standardized security practices.

Do you lock your house? Do you lock your car? Do you keep your bank PINs secret from others? Do you use security like WPA on your WiFi router? I hope you said yes to all of those.

If you do, you understand basic security. Allowing the EVERYONE group to have full access to your X$ share is just plain dumb. It's as dumb as leaving your house or car unlocked.

By doing so, you are leaving your local drive and all it's files accessible to viruses, etc.

Yes, this may inconvienence you. Yes, you may not understand why you can no longer do something you've always done since you didn't understand why it was a bad idea.

What you should do is this. Create folders and share those. Sure, it's more work, but it's just as easy to connect to and then you don't have to worry about something destroying all the data on your drive. This is how I do it and have done it for years. But, I'm a network engineer and instructor so I've had this training.

Latest posts