What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

If you were buying a 43"-ish display around boxing day...

Lysrin

I shouldn't even ask this. I know we've been around this topic a few times and I've read all the threads... I think.

I'm pondering a larger display again. I like the 34" 1440p but I think I would like something larger. I've been wandering around reviews of the 4K 43" 16:9 displays, but for the price a lot of them seem to have issues. And some of the ones that are good for gaming have issues with text clarity. That would be a big issue for me since I use the PC for work now too, and with the eyes getting older I'd like things to be easier on the eyes not harder.

So if you were lining up to buy something in the not too distant future, would the LG OLEDs like lowfat has, even given the burn-in possibility, be the recommendation? Or is this still just a bad time and waiting for farther into 2022 is wise?

It would also be nice, given that I am still only running the 1080 Ti, to be able to run 1440p for gaming resolution on the bigger display without it looking like crap. I've also seen a few capable of setting an ultrawide resolution so I could get the ultrawide feel if desired, although I don't think I would give up the overall largeness to do that.

And if you have display discussion fatigue at this point, just ignore this post... It'll go away ;)

And maybe nothing has changed since this post, that was as recent as November

hitek

I have a Philips BDM4065 40" 4k panel at my desk along with a 27" 2560x1440 144hz VRR panel.
This one specifically does have text issues as it's one of the BGR subpixel layout VA panels, along with some other issues that make me want to retire it to a workbench monitor for reading schematics and other more basic display tasks!

I'm definitely looking towards news and impressions of the LG 42" OLED panels that should be released in 2022.

If the LG 48C1 was a few hundred dollars less than the 55C1 and I already had an HDMI2.1 gpu I might have already bought one this past sale season.

Lysrin

I doubt I'd go ultra wide if you need good clear font. Just sayin.
Maybe I'm missing your meaning here @clshades . I already have ultrawide. I don't have any issues with text on my current 3440x1440 monitor.

The comment I made about setting to ultrawide on a big 16:9 screen is that some models, I forget which, would allow you to set an ultrawide res on the 16:9 native screen, putting letterboxing on the top and bottom. So you could get the ultrawide feel if you preferred that for a specific game. But in my case, I'd want the full large screen at 16:9, if I upgraded, over letterboxing for ultrawide. Maybe even restating that doesn't make sense lol

@FreeKnight nice to hear you're having this same thought process. When I bought the 34" ultrawide I said to myself "Self, you have now reached monitor heaven! The search is over!" Weeeell... ;)

Lysrin

Also realising that connection options could impact screen choices based on my current video card. The 1080 Ti has DisplayPort 1.4 that I currently use for my main monitor, and HDMI 2.0b. The 43" TV type displays don't seem to include DisplayPort and focus on HDMI 2.1.

Izerous

Folding Team
Been using 4k + 1080ti and most games I play I don't have issues. I did recently change from 28in to 43in 4k not that size effects performance. For a flat screen I think I'm sitting too close though. Otherwise I'm liking this Samsung M7. It doesn't have display port but the HDMI ports can handle 60Hz over HDMI with the 1080ti not that I actually double checked.

Lysrin

@Izerous you'd be surprised how many people get the size affecting performance thing confused... ahem, right. In monitors I mean... anyway...

What 43" 4K did you go to? You likely said in another one of these threads but I forget.