What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Internet for Cheaper than Cheap.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Well Friendly, since you mentioned about how we're being ripped off, I'm assuming you're on Shaw as well? Why don't you simply contact Lightspeed and ask them if they have access in P.R....... https://lightspeed.ca/
I am not on Shaw...I'm on City West. this is the only telecom company for phone or internet for Prince Rupert.

Caldezar

WTF!!!!! o_O DAMN, already being a customer, I KNOW there's not a snowball's chance in hell they'd offer me that deal!!! 🤬 Guess you must've been talking to someone higher up the "chain of command", cuz it seems unlikely the 1st line folks would be authorized to offer that kind of deal.

Ok, you signed a contract for the 2yrs., so you know you're getting it for that price for that period of time, but I'd be SERIOUSLY skeptical about it continuing month to month at the same price, once the 2yrs. are done...... you got something in writing?

Actually, I wasn't dealing with a 'higher up'. Perhaps a 'Tier 2' sales guy (or whatever they call it) but that's about it. And you're in no worse a position unless you're currently on contract. And in a lot of ways, if you've been a long term customer, you're in a better position. Companies like to keep good customers that pay on time and have no issues. (You may have a hard time getting a better deal if you always pay 2 months late and constantly call in to complain, but maybe not.) So when you call up, tell them you're rethinking your internet because you're seeing better deals from independent companies and you want to get the best deal that you can. Go in prepared and do some research on the best deals available in your area. (Even the little guys with bad reputations. It's about dollars and cents in this conversation, not whether the company you deal with is one of the big three.) Then ask them what they have for retention plans. It's not about matching another company, it's about offering you something better to stick around since you're such a good client. And the kicker here is that you have to MEAN IT when you tell them you're shopping around and willing to go to someone else.

The truth is, a first offer is NEVER a final offer. And the advertised rates are just that... a first offer. And it's up to you if they sell you on that, or if you sell them on keeping you as a customer.

LegendMask

Where I live it seems bell were pushing hard and I think I got a great deal compared to others in my area

1.5Gbps up/down for $79 compared to Videotron I was paying $129 (if I’m not mistaken) for 1gbps up/down

Cannon Fodder

Actually, I wasn't dealing with a 'higher up'. Perhaps a 'Tier 2' sales guy (or whatever they call it) but that's about it. And you're in no worse a position unless you're currently on contract. And in a lot of ways, if you've been a long term customer, you're in a better position. Companies like to keep good customers that pay on time and have no issues. (You may have a hard time getting a better deal if you always pay 2 months late and constantly call in to complain, but maybe not.) So when you call up, tell them you're rethinking your internet because you're seeing better deals from independent companies and you want to get the best deal that you can. Go in prepared and do some research on the best deals available in your area. (Even the little guys with bad reputations. It's about dollars and cents in this conversation, not whether the company you deal with is one of the big three.) Then ask them what they have for retention plans. It's not about matching another company, it's about offering you something better to stick around since you're such a good client. And the kicker here is that you have to MEAN IT when you tell them you're shopping around and willing to go to someone else.

The truth is, a first offer is NEVER a final offer. And the advertised rates are just that... a first offer. And it's up to you if they sell you on that, or if you sell them on keeping you as a customer.

Well, I've seen this sort of thing on forums before..... THINK I've seen a similar kind of thing here before, and definitely seen it on the NCIX forums, but it seems to be a case of hit or miss with getting the right CSR on the phone. I recall someone calling in to either Shaw(think it was them) or Telus, threatening to leave for the other guys if they didn't get a significantly better deal, and at first they were told that the current rate(s) on their web site is what they're entitled to. After pushing it some, and getting sent to the retentions dept., they got a better offer, but not as good as the TPIA guys had, so they jumped ship. Of course, once their previous ISP found out they actually meant they were leaving, THEN they came back with a significantly better offer, but the change had already been made, so whomever posted that didn't return to their previous provider.

And no, we're not on a contract, for this very reason, i.e. I want the freedom to leave whenever I feel like it..... OTOH, I've been a Shaw customer for a long time, and still am...... I would've already left for someone else, at least for 'net access, but my wife is all "bent outta shape" about having to change email addresses for everything. :rolleyes:

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
IMHO all Canada ISP need to step up there game by at least 100% on speeds and availability
as with everything in Canada, because of the low population spread out over extreme distances, only the places with high concentration of residents get anything and at that point, they're likely still going to be a captive to whomever it was that built the infrastructure and has to pay what they want.

it's a big thing in the US where their rural area's suffer badly...a bill to fund something like $93 billion of development just went through to work on that.

it's really expensive to run a line to a house off a hwy in the middle of nowhere...so unless they pay for it, it's not likely to be done.

it sucks, but Canada just doesn't have the economy to scale like the US. :(

JD

Staff member
The CRTC did set this objective, whether or not ISP's meet it is another story...and of course price isn't factored into this at all either, just availability.

"By the end of 2021, we expect 90% of Canadian homes and businesses will have access to broadband speeds of at least 50 Mbps for downloads and 10 Mbps for uploads." (https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/internet/performance.htm)

Latest posts