What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

it's looking like the B550 mobo's may be better than most X570 mobo's

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
read an interesting thread on reddit that was talking about all the ITX board specs for SFF systems.

most have front USB Type C header
most have dual M.2 NVMe SSD slots
multiple system fan headers
no chipset fan

then there's that funky Gigabyte board that gives you three M.2 NVMe SSD slots (tho not ITX)

in contrast however...one of the Asus boards is priced at $229 USD, so for a mid-range chipset, it doesn't have a mid-range price. it also makes one wonder if there will be a new wave of X570 mobo's with revisions to provide the features lacking in comparison.

Entz

Yeah I think they are going to be a smash hit. Depending on pricing the MSI MAG B550M MORTAR has my eye as it has 2.5Gbe onboard and no Wifi which is a silly thing to pay for on a desktop imo. Assuming I keep my case.

The only wrinkle is these are so late that if your waiting for Zen 3, there is almost certainly going to be a X670 and all the goodies that come with it. A super expensive B550 seems like a hard sell for those who are waiting.

Entz

Yup. My central switch is multi gig.
Depends a lot on price as you say. If I get a new case and go ITX it’s a requirement for me imo

Entz

Yup they are definitely not cheap. The Netgear MS510TX is still the best value I think but it is still around $330 right now. Thats 4@ 1GbE , 2 @ 1/2.5 GbE , 2 @1/2.5/5 GbE and 1 @1/2/5/10 GbE and 1 10 GbE SFP+ which I am not sure is multi or not . What a few others on here, and I are running.

Between Intel and the new AMD boards hopefully 8 port 2.5 will drop to normal prices ( say < 100 for dumb)

lowfat

Staff member
Yup they are definitely not cheap. The Netgear MS510TX is still the best value I think but it is still around $330 right now. Thats 4@ 1GbE , 2 @ 1/2.5 GbE , 2 @1/2.5/5 GbE and 1 @1/2/5/10 GbE and 1 10 GbE SFP+ which I am not sure is multi or not . What a few others on here, and I are running.

Between Intel and the new AMD boards hopefully 8 port 2.5 will drop to normal prices ( say < 100 for dumb)
What are you using for 2.5/5GbE devices? Just using USB adapters?

You like the switch?

Entz

that central one is actually the POE version but is otherwise identical. All of the consumers are 1gbe currently, waiting on more devices to come out with faster. i added a few POE devices and figured I might as well get something a bit more future proof. Let’s me add full speed wifi6e or a few 2.5g clients without issue.

It has been flawless for me. Only downside is netgear gui is still stuck in the dark ages but it does work lol. It does give me a 5GbE link to my rack. Which is enough currently, even with gigabit internet eventually.

I have a second one, the non POE listed above in the server rack,
there I have 2 10g devices both servers. Both on Mellanox ConnectX Sfp+ cards (v3 I think). 1 with a converter. big barrier on the server side is Vsphere is allergic to the cheap multigig cards. otherwise I would prefer 10g to the nashost and 5g to the others.

why I have been itching to get a few devices with 2.5 😝 The USB ones are interesting, may be worth trying them on my backup NAS If the port is fast enough.

Latest posts