What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

MSI Gaming Laptop issues - CPU constant @ 100% - CPU fan runs high 24/7

djbrad

I suggest booting a ubuntu / mint live cd and see if the fans are calming down. If they do, something’s not rigth in windows

ZZLEE

Look up " Driver Easy'" its a free utilty . Look up how to install on free version on Youtube.
Or go to MSI and look up drivers fore the laptop.

moocow

Oh now I remember I had similar experience with an old AMD X4. It would peg 100% in Windows 10 and Ubuntu when watching Youtube, I can't figure it out as well and end up sending it to the recycle bin. Not sure if it's CPU or motherboard but it was old enough that it wasn't work my time to figure it out.

Urotsukidoji

So, I thought I would follow up. First I want to thank all for replying. For now, this seems to have been solved via power settings... on my son's PC he had an option called "Ultimate Performance".... I don't have this option in WIN10, so not sure what that's about. I have "Balanced", "Power Saver" and "High Performance".... so not sure how he got "Ultimate" maybe a Dragon Center thing? Anyway, when we checked it, guess what? CPU bouncing between 1 & 5% and holding :D

But wait there's more... He had a pop up on the PC for Iobit, and we noticed Iobit Updater in task manager. We had never heard of it, and after a quick google, learned it was often linked to something called Drive Booster, which looks like something uBreakiFix installed to try and fix the original issue. So we uninstalled Drive Booster, and the CPU is still all good, but I fear Iobit will re appear in the future. .... if so, I will be having "words" :mad: with iBreakuFix.
performance.pngcpu good.pngiobit.png

samlmil

OK, this might be off topic a bit for here, but no where else is helping.

So my son has a MSI Gaming laptop, its 4 years old, it is this;

MSI GL72M 7RDX-679CA Gaming Notebook | 17.3" FHD(1920x1080), Intel
Core i7-7700HQ(up to 3.80 GHz), 8GB DDR4, 1TB HDD | NVIDIA GeForce
GTX1050 2G GDDR5, Bluetooth, Windows 10 Home

NOTE: RAM was increased to 16GB about 6 months back.

It has had a couple issues over the years, but just recently it was having issues doing the latest Windows 10 update, it would always fail just at the 100% mark.
So he downloaded the Windows Update Assistant tool, and did it manual, which seemed to work.

The next time he restarted, the PC took a long time to boot up. (and keeps doing so). Once powered up, the CPU fan starts running loudly at high speed, and never slows down.

When looking at the CPU usage in task manager, it says 100% all the time, while basically in idle.

MSI PCs come with a management program called Dragon Center. The only way we have found to get the CPU to drop from 100% usage (to about 50%), and for the fan to slow down, is to put the PC in "ECO" shift mode (a low power setting) in Dragon Center, which it can't really stay in if you are using the PC. Based on this, I'm sure the issue is Windows or Dragon Center setting related. However numerous searches on MSI support and Reddit forms has not comes up with a matching problem or solution. There are similar issues, people bitching about Dragon Center in general, and CPUs running hot, but just not the same. People recommend undervolting for cooler CPU temps, but I think the issue here is the 100% usage. His temp while not gaming shows at 65 in Dragon Center. That might be high, but not a temp that should send the fans into constant overdrive.

In frustration I took it oxver to our local uBreakiFix (which has helped me in the past). Their first idea was outdated drivers (did not work), cleaning etc. Now they want to either do a full windows re-install (which my son would rather not do, with having to back up and re-install everything he has).... or buy a new fan / assembly??? which sounds ridiculous (and I'm sure not the real issue).

So, any ideas? Any way to decrease this 100% usage, slow the fan.... Could the windows update be the issue? Do you advise the full windows reinstall route?

As a side note, my other son has the exact same PC (bought together, and even had the RAM upgraded together) and no issue. His CPU usage bounces between 1-5% while idle.

EDIT: Just remembered, my son with the "good" PC had a hard drive crash a year ago, so he actually had a full Windows refresh when he got his new HD, and no Dragon Center anymore....
I know I'm a year late but did your son keep his laptop plugged in to the power charger cord all the time or did he only charge it when it was low battery percentage? It sounds like it could be a faulty battery. Generally when laptop battery's are over charges or faulty, they can cause over heating imitating the fans to run on overdrive

Latest posts