What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Network LAN driver won't show in Device Manager, can't connect

Dave Simpson

Have you ever used that NIC? Try selecting "View/Show Hidden Devices" in device manager to see if it shows up there.

Do you currently have an ethernet cable plugged into it? If so, try unplugging the cable and rebooting to see if the card then shows up in device manager. It's not very common, but I've seen a few cases where something on the network is taking down an ethernet connection.

If you've identified that the network card is enabled in bios, try turning it off, rebooting and then turning it back on. You can also try a bios update.

As it stands.... the fact that the realtek driver installs suggests that it sees the hardware, but for some reason it's not showing up in windows.

Maybe try a live boot linux usb to see if it recognizes the NIC?

Not showing in "view/show hidden devices".

Unplugged the the ethernet cable, rebooted, no luck.

Rebooted many times now, no dice. I think I'll have to update the bios.

You totally lose me with Linux.

This is really annoying, but thank you for your efforts, everyone.

Dave Simpson

Now the bios won't update: "BIOS ID check error" Ugh🤦‍♂️Pissed off with this mobo. I'm done for today.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave Simpson

Was it showing up in device manager before you installed the driver?

No, wasn't showing. I've had this pc for two years; I cant recall to be sure, but I think it was listed in device manager when I first got it...and then it wasn't, and it won't show up when I install.

crazyea

I didn't know this was an option, so the answer to your question is no. But it didn't get flashed at all.
Im asking because it’s worth a try to see if it helps.

When you connect an ethernet cable do any of the lights flash on the nic port?

Dave Simpson

Im asking because it’s worth a try to see if it helps.
To be clear, when I said "it didn't get flashed at all", I was referring to flashing the bios. I tried several times, all I got was "BIOS ID check error".

When you connect an ethernet cable do any of the lights flash on the nic port?
You mean the ethernet port on the back of the motherboard? No flashing from that port.

crazyea

To be clear, when I said "it didn't get flashed at all", I was referring to flashing the bios. I tried several times, all I got was "BIOS ID check error".

You mean the ethernet port on the back of the motherboard? No flashing from that port.
I understand. Try loading bios defaults is what I’m saying. See if it helps with the network adapter.