What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

NEW BUILD - GAMING

LarkStarr

As much as I love to recommend AMD for more budget builds, I know firsthand that GW2 likes GPU over CPU, and I also do love my future-proofing. I'd go with an Bond's suggestion of some type of i5, paired with a decent video card. Best part is you can upgrade the card later to something beefier if finances allow, whereas crossfiring the A10 is limited to a specific series and model of card. You could even fish around for an older, used video card on here.

a dual-core will easily handle a game and voice/music in the background, and I don't think you'll actively be using a browser and a game at the same time. the 3470, as suggested is a quad anyways.

Curiously, what is your current/last build? I think if you're going to want it to last a few years and still play modern games, you might have to invest a little more cash into something solid.

Dee_Toronto

As much as I love to recommend AMD for more budget builds, I know firsthand that GW2 likes GPU over CPU, and I also do love my future-proofing. I'd go with an Bond's suggestion of some type of i5, paired with a decent video card. Best part is you can upgrade the card later to something beefier if finances allow, whereas crossfiring the A10 is limited to a specific series and model of card. You could even fish around for an older, used video card on here.

a dual-core will easily handle a game and voice/music in the background, and I don't think you'll actively be using a browser and a game at the same time. the 3470, as suggested is a quad anyways.

Curiously, what is your current/last build? I think if you're going to want it to last a few years and still play modern games, you might have to invest a little more cash into something solid.

I agree with you in terms of investing more money into it. I did not want to go over the $500 limit but I'll remove the budget for this build. I rather invest some money now and not have to worry for a while. I prefer to have a solid base that I can easily upgrade in the future.
I'll post my old build here later on if I go home tonight. It is REALLY old, like almost a decade old and it still runs any game. Realistically, how much do you think I'd end up spending on this build?

greenroost14

i would go with l2key's suggestion with the 6670 in xfire but if you prefer intel then go with an intel i3 3220 or something like that and a z77 board. something like an msi z77-g41

Stuart

i would go with l2key's suggestion with the 6670 in xfire but if you prefer intel then go with an intel i3 3220 or something like that and a z77 board. something like an msi z77-g41

If he was to go w/ Intel and is looking for a future proof system, an i3 is nearly out of question in my opinion. An i3 wouldn't be too smart considering that many new games are optimizing the use of multiple cores. An i5 3450 would be a smarter choice because it is a quad-core. As for a video card, I would try to squeeze in a 560ti or a 7850, although those are most likely out of his budget range.

Dee_Toronto

This is exactly the problem I was having while trying to decide which on to use by myself D:
So, i5 3450?

frontier204

Hello and thank you for your help! o/
I am currently playing GW2 and my old computer is not up to the task. I love to play BUT i dont have as much time as I'd like so I dont need an ULTIMATE system.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
Dont plan to but I'm willing to.

The K CPU is only worth it if you plan to overclock given your use.

Don't forget if you're getting a non-K processor you also have the option of a cheaper motherboard and staying with the stock cooler:
With the non-K CPU you can go as low as a $65 B75 motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 mATX LGA1155 B75 DDR3 1PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 1PCI SATA3 DVI VGA USB3.0 Motherboard

If you want to get any noticeable overclock out of a 3570k and have the board last the 2-3 years you want you'll need a Z77 (or Z75) board with decent voltage regulation (power circuitry around the CPU socket), at least this which is on sale for $115-15:
MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 SLI SATA3 DVI HDMI VGA DX11 USB3.0 Motherboard
Also add $30 or so for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 or other aftermarket cooler.

As for the rest of your build, you can look at the following:
PSU: $80-15 Antec HCG-520M 520W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 40A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply
Case: (Pick something up locally, probably $35 or so)
RAM: $40 DDR3-1600 8GB of-the-week (whatever's on sale that's on your motherboard's QVL list)
GPU: $120-20 Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 OC 1050MHZ 1GB 4.5GHZ GDDR5 DVI HDMI 2XMINIDP PCI-E Video Card
Storage: The sale seems to change every week so I won't comment...

I ran a (low priority) Blender render task while playing GW2 and it was OK with the computer in my sig on a stock i5 2500k. (May have different result in WvWvW or any crowded dynamic event.) As GW2 is right now, I noticed the difference a lot more by moving the game to my SSD than with overclocking my CPU. (I play max details 1080p with 8xAF and no AA if you're wondering.) Your frames DROP when you enter a new area and it starts loading models and things. I managed high settings with native sampling on a nVidia 550Ti at 1680x1050 before switching to my GTX 660 Ti. I don't look at FPS at all, but the frames I get is perfectly playable for interrupting enemy skill activations and dodging.

Latest posts