What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New build long overdue

Toyoracer

Well the time is now for a new build, this will be my first. This will be an all round machine. I Do Not Game but the kids and grandkids will like it when they come to visit. For me it's design, cad and graphic, movies to the tv,etc.

Will buy from Ncix, pm. Live in BC.

Price always the kicker cheap. If everything goes as planned this will end up downstairs as second pc. oh please life work out haha

Any build will be Huge increase from what I have, better sit down;
Asus p4s333, Pentium 4 1.7ghz, nvidia mx420, 1gb ddr and it still works.

I am thinking $300 for MB,CPU,Ram $200 GPU, PSU and will use WD blacks. And would like OCZ SSD I think 60 GB should do, I use Ubuntu

MB need help DDR2-3 Asus, Gigabyte 770-785 ?

Cpu AMD Athlon II X3 435 Triple Core Processor Socket AM3 2.9GHZ 1.5MB Cache 95W Retail Box (ADX435WFGIBOX) In Stock $82.45

AMD Athlon II X4 635 Quad Core Processor AM3 2.9GHZ 2MB L2 Cache 95W 45NM Retail Box (ADX635WFGIBOX) In Stock $131.60

Ram ?
Gpu
Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 Vapor-X 710MHZ 1GB 4.64GHZ GDDR5 PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI DisplayPort Video Card

Psu Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan (CMPSU-750TX)

I will then pick up WD 1Tb Black , I have a green already , and the SSD.

Monitor will be 23-24"
Would appreciate any insight, will be buying by end of the month. This is going in scratch build case I am also starting just waiting for few parts to come.

Maybe it would be wiser to build my main system first:

Phenom II X1090T, 890Fx, same Gpu, Hx850, ram?

Last edited:

_dangtx_

Banned
because of 'design' id say go with the 1055t.

ram? start with 2x2 of your choice(cheaper the better? :p )

mobo, giga all the way. if you get the ssd, no need for the black. just get another green.

5770 is nice, you probably dont need naything fancier than basic ati design.

samsung has some nice/cheap 24 inchers, maybe 250 tax in?

SneakySnake

I agree with dangtx, If you have room in your budget the AMD Phenom II x6 1055t would be an excellent option. Reason being is that it's a six core, and great for the productivity kind of stuff your doing.

If not however both the 435x3 and the 635x4 are great options for the money. I'd be inclined to go with the 435x3.

MadCan

here is the monitor that i just recently bought
Samsung E2320X 23IN Widescreen Lcd Monitor 1920X1080 5MS 16:9 70000:1DC Dvi Vga - DirectCanada

through price-matching and 0-dead pixel guarantee and taxes and shipping it came to me for $236

when it comes to ram in your case any 2x2 would do the job.
also the cpu. im not sure what exactly you are expecting from the cpu, but if its strictly graphic and design there is no need to go for a crazy one so the x4 635 should serve you well.

GPU: well since you are planning on doing a lot of Cad and graphic design i would recommend to upgrade that graphics card to 5770 and get rid of the Vapor. reason being since the main load on your card is going to be rendering your GPU is not going to heat up as much and it definitely does not require any OC. Just dangtx said you should just go with the simple ATI design which will save you around 20-30.

Last but not least there is no need for a 750W PSU for a build like this. I would suggest you to stick with a 600W PSU, but if you insist that you want around 700W i would recommend the OCZ XStream

NCIX.com - Buy OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply - OCZ700MXSP In Canada.

Toyoracer

Thanks dangtx you read my mind on the Phenom II x1055T. Problem is I have two options for build, main rig or second one which is the case I am building first. So after thinking about it all day at work, I will start my main rig build in this case and then move it when I build second case.

So build will be used for design, cad 2-3D, graphics all aspects. I will run KVM linux 5 vm's. So Phenom II x1055T, motherboard with 2 PCIe 16 and 8 sata, would like to have.

GPU, I thought the extra cooling of the vapour would help with longevity but regular 5770 is okay. Maybe add Firepro V5800 as this is my hobby.

WD Blacks will host the vm's, working space for cad, graphics (lots of temp files) and SSD will host KVM and apps, does that sound like the proper set-up? Greens are storage.

Last edited:

Toyoracer

Sorry folks I hi-jacked my own thread. Talking about two builds, totally carried away with that.

This build will be the OP . A low cost All purpose build. Will be bought in the next couple of weeks. Thank you for any input.

_dangtx_

Banned
get the 240 or 250, very good clockers. bit less cache but hey

try to go with a giga board for amd :) good ones udner 100 bucks.. at that price range maybe an 8 series chipset?

that video card will be weaker than say a 5850/70 at higher resolutions if youll game with it

i see quite teh storage selection..why not kee an ssd+2tb hdd

Toyoracer

get the 240 or 250, very good clockers. bit less cache but hey

try to go with a giga board for amd :) good ones udner 100 bucks.. at that price range maybe an 8 series chipset?

that video card will be weaker than say a 5850/70 at higher resolutions if youll game with it

i see quite teh storage selection..why not kee an ssd+2tb hdd

The vapour I thought about cooling for a few dollars more.
The Asus board for 7 sata.
Large storage for cad, graphics and movies.

I do not game the 5770 is lets say equal to Firepro v4800. Dx11 for any future proofing, kinda what I am thinking.

The 555 I hope to unlock, for bang per buck and overclock

_dangtx_

Banned
well, ok. but if you get that cpu with hopes of unlocking, just dont lol.

Latest posts