What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New "Moving out" build

Inik

Folding Team
Hello,

I'll move out this summer and I came up with an idea. Let me explain :

I currently have the hardware in my sig as my main rig. For the next year, I'll be really busy with school and eventually work. I was resigned to stop folding in my new place to save money on the power bill. This morning, I thought : why not make a second rig for my appartment and keep a rig at fold to fold 24/7.

Here's how I could arrange my rig :

"Moving out" rig

Use : Office work, casual gaming (CS:S, L4D, TF2) and movie/tv shows

CPU : "advice needed" (ideas : E5200, E8400, ?)
PSU : "advice needed"
Case : CM690 in the basement :p
Mouse : G9
Keyboard : G15
Mobo : "advice needed"
Screen : Dell 2209WA
HDD: 640 GB caviar black
GPU : 8800 GT /w GFXChilla
RAM : 2x2 GB Muskin Ascent 1000

Folding rig

CPU : Q6600@3.2
PSU : Corsair HX620W
Keyboard : Saitek Eclipse II
Mouse : Optical microsoft
Screen : Cheapest 19" I can find
GPU : GtX 280
HDD : WD 500 GB
RAM : 2x1GB .. any brand
Mobo : Asus p5k-e/wifi
Case : HAF 932

Please help me with some parts :p

I don't mind to buy used!

Inik

Folding Team
The quad will be better at folding, and I won't use the power of the quad since I'll have no life for about 9 months lol

The gtx 280 will fold.. but I can swap it easily if I want to play a more demanding game than cs:s hehe

Inik

Folding Team
Hmm, forgot about budget!

I could buy a cheap CRT monitor fort he folding rig

300$ should be enough for a CPU, MOBO, PSU

Inik

Folding Team
Thanks a lot! I have to back up for now since my mom doesn't want my folding rig when I'll move out. It means I have to keep one rig and moderate my folding :sad:

Realityshift

That Q6600 is a pretty beastly rig anyways, I thought you could run both cards in your PC but only use 1 while folding and game on the other? not sure how you would set that up though...

Inik

Folding Team
Yeah, my Q6600 still suit me well. I'm thinking about selling the gtx 280 while it still worth something. I won't play any games more demanding than cs:s until next year. I'll buy a new rig when I'll start working anyways

Realityshift

Id say if your not using it then sell it, save it in the bank or something till the new 3xx series come out and mature a little and the PC gaming market gets better then it currently is... I went through alot of trouble and expense to put together my newest rig, and now all I do is play CS and BF2142, and maybe a little WoW here and there. Mind you I get 200+ fps in those games... the gaming market now just isnt worth upgrading for. And even the games im looking forward to, SC2 and D3, are more then likely not going to require any where near what im running now, theyd probubly run great maxed out on that 8800 you have.

Itd be different if you where a crysis or farcry fanatic and HAD to play those games... But most of the GOOD new games like FEAR 2 will run on that 8800 maxed out.

Latest posts