What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pentium G4560 the new gaming budget CPU?

jalmir

Yeah I saw a few smaller YouTuber do some bench against i3s and other budget CPU, this seems to be a good choice when it comes to budget gaming!

MARSTG

Because the big reviews target only the expensive SKUs and people are so gullible : how many times haven't I seen in the new build section I want to build a new pc for gaming, is a k i5 ok or do i need a k i7? Ignorance is bliss for the marketing department! And the gullible mob flocks at the i5 when a simple i3 would do it, and these days even a Pentium!

LazedOut

Banned
Because the big reviews target only the expensive SKUs and people are so gullible : how many times haven't I seen in the new build section I want to build a new pc for gaming, is a k i5 ok or do i need a k i7? Ignorance is bliss for the marketing department! And the gullible mob flocks at the i5 when a simple i3 would do it, and these days even a Pentium!

Yes and no. I mean my g3258 that I overclocked to 4.5 was still quite sluggish in court intensive games like battlefield 4. I'm not sure how these new pentiums conquer that, but an i3 6100 shows almost the same fps as aneeded i5 or i7 and that's with only two physical cores.

MARSTG

Yes, but 4 threads, and that is the most important! As long as the CPU has 4 threads is good to go these days : my first gen i7 played Forza 6 Apex and Forza Horizon 3 at 60 FPS with a 1060. These days the GPUs are often enough but the CPUs must deliver as well. Btw, the only difference between 4500 series Pentium and 4600 series is the GPU, the 4600 comes with GT2, the 630, but for those using a discrete GPU the 4500 should be target for a low cost gaming system.

Bond007

I am not going to lie...old pentiums I only recommended for basic use boxes, and i3 were fine for everything, but it wasn't usually too much more for a better i5 (hence why I mostly recommended the i5).

This CPU changes everthing. I don't think I can recommend i3 anymore at all. Pentium on a budget or jump to an i5 7500 ...anything in between is probably not worth the $. I will wait for a few more solid reviews before I conclusively go with this though.

LazedOut

Banned
I am not going to lie...old pentiums I only recommended for basic use boxes, and i3 were fine for everything, but it wasn't usually too much more for a better i5 (hence why I mostly recommended the i5).

This CPU changes everthing. I don't think I can recommend i3 anymore at all. Pentium on a budget or jump to an i5 7500 ...anything in between is probably not worth the $. I will wait for a few more solid reviews before I conclusively go with this though.

Guess it's time to retire my g3258s for htpc/light gaming then. From a pure marketing/profit perspective, wouldn't this gimp sales of i5 and i7 processors?

MARSTG

If all the buyers would be hardware geeks yes, but that is not the case. I assume Intel is entrenching at the low end of the price spectrum against incoming AMD shelling.