What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Performance issues with non-gaming programs (freezes, stutters, delays)

draemn

Just throwing this out there as a general "eh, maybe someone has a fix." I don't expect much tbh.

I have some general performance issues that I can't really figure out how to diagnose and some that I have made some improvements to. I have no idea where to "see" what is going wrong in terms of hardware monitoring, windows logs, stress testing, etc. I am expecting someone to tell me to re-install all of my drivers, so feel free to do that, but only if you'll provide more details on the method that needs to be used.

1) Web browser performance issues:
  • sometimes when typing it kind of "freezes" up and I can't see my typing in real time, after a few seconds it'll all appear.
  • Youtube video playback issues - youtube mostly fixed by turning OFF hardware acceleration.
  • Reddit still giving me problems where the video image will freeze while the video keeps playing, resulting in skipped bits of video (usually fixed by waiting for it to finish and then using the "replay video" feature.
  • Sometimes will just lock up for a second or two and be "unresponsive" (doesn't actually give me the "this program is not responding" error - often (temporarily) fixed by rebooting
2) General program input lag/freezing. Same typing error as above where text input will freeze up and then suddenly appear/have lag. (web browser is pretty much always open on my computer, so possibly related?)

Any time I open up task manager (ctrl + shift + escape) I don't see any flags wrt resources used.

JD

Staff member
I think at the very least we'll need to know your hardware specs and what OS version you're running (if its Windows 10, there's a lot of builds).

Usually I would say reinstall Windows when these odd issues arise, but you could start with a couple commands to help reset/restore things:
sfc /scannow (if errors found, keeping running again until there is none)
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth (if errors found, then run dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth)
winmgmt /salvagerepository
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

Could also be a lot more basic and your PC is overheating or clogged with dust and thus throttling.

draemn

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Gene
Processor: i7-4820k
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 (Corsair)
Video Card: EVGA 780 Classified
OS: Windows 10 64 bit, build 18363.836 (but problems have been over a longer period of time than just one build)

I run my CPU over-clocked with power states enabled & I think the memory is o/c with XMP profile.

Latest posts