What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

performance issues

draemn

One of the games I play a lot is installed on the HDD< so removing it isn't the easy answer. I did a full disk check and SMART status and it's defragged. Nothing jumps out to having a poor HDD (I didn't do any data transfer rates or such speed tests). What's something I can use to try and see if the GPU is causing stutter since I don't have a fancy FCAT testing machine?

Vittra

1) Uninstall Nvidia/Geforce Exp/HDMI/Physx related drivers. This may require up to 1 restart in-between. When the last one is uninstalled...
2a) Boot into safe mode and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller), wipe out vid card drivers
2b) Optional - Uninstall generic VGA display from device manager
3) Restart back into Windows, reinstall latest GPU drivers

See if you still have stuttering.

clshades

I have a 128gb revo drive I'll sell you cheap if you're interested. It can be installed as a raid 0 too which is kind of interesting. Super fast for games.

draemn

Haha, I'm thinking of buying a 500GB model to replace the green drive. I already have a 256GB drive, but with some games taking up over 40GB of space, I can't fit as much on there as I used to.

clshades

draemn

Tried the graphics driver complete nuke and re-install. Can't say that fixed much (although it did help me feel clean).

Vittra

OK, so at this point you've ruled out GPU drivers from being the culprit. It could still be hardware related (GPU) or problems with that WD Green as mentioned on the last page - or something else.

Suggestions at this point:

1) If you've been testing games on that WD Green, swap them over to your main drive (SSD?) and see if there's a difference. This isn't going to be easy, I know.
2) Based on everything you've already tried, this is fast entering "reformat and reinstall" territory because you could spend weeks trying to figure out what's going on if it is software related in some way. Simple route may be to create an image of your OS drive, then nuke it and reinstall the OS and see how performance is. If it's the same, revert back to the image. That will pretty much tell you if you are dealing with a software or hardware issue, though, if hardware, you won't be sure exactly what just yet.
3) If you don't want to do that, I'd investigate chipset/motherboard drivers next. Did you happen to do a BIOS update at any point in the past few months that may have reverted your SATA controller from AHCI, to say, IDE, forcing the OS to reinstall everything?

clshades

gonna have to move a game to the OS drive to eliminate the WD green drive as the problem. Sorry man it's the only way to know. I have seen systems in the past run like pure crap because a storage drive was on the blink. Once the drive was determined and unplugged the computer returned to running normally.

draemn

Put another SSD in the system to swap out the WD green drive. It seems to be behaving better overall. Still not 100% happy, but 80% improvement. I haven't had a chance to test out multiple games yet.

Latest posts