What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Raid 0 or 1 for two ssd's

dosmond

I have one OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 60Gb SSD and another one on the way, Currently I'm running Windows 7 (primary os) on my existing ssd, and mac osx 10.65 on an older HD. I haven't really made up my mind whether or not to keep my windows 7 on one ssd and use the new ssd as my mac osx drive or keep the mac osx on the old hard drive and raid the 2 ssd's. I have read some info about raid but it might be out of date . So I do have a few questions about raid. Should I go with software raid through windows 7 for my ssd's, or use the built in solution on my motherboard, Asus p7p55d-e pro. With either solution will I lose Trim support? I'm more interested in read speed then write speed so do I really want or need raid 0? Supposedly raid 1 will give me double the read speed of a single ssd and data redundancy protection if one drive fails, is that the best choice or Does any one think I should just forget about raid and use the ssds as separate drives for mac osx and windows 7?

Firefox666

I would go RAID 0 and just use 2 non ssd hdd in raid 1 for data you can lose:canadianwave:

Jebusman

I have one OCZ Vertex 2 Extended 60Gb SSD and another one on the way, Currently I'm running Windows 7 (primary os) on my existing ssd, and mac osx 10.65 on an older HD. I haven't really made up my mind whether or not to keep my windows 7 on one ssd and use the new ssd as my mac osx drive or keep the mac osx on the old hard drive and raid the 2 ssd's. I have read some info about raid but it might be out of date . So I do have a few questions about raid. Should I go with software raid through windows 7 for my ssd's, or use the built in solution on my motherboard, Asus p7p55d-e pro. With either solution will I lose Trim support? I'm more interested in read speed then write speed so do I really want or need raid 0? Supposedly raid 1 will give me double the read speed of a single ssd and data redundancy protection if one drive fails, is that the best choice or Does any one think I should just forget about raid and use the ssds as separate drives for mac osx and windows 7?

As far as I know, you still lose TRIM support if you go RAID.

That doesn't mean you should abandon the idea all together, but it does mean you would need to give your computer some time to properly garbage collect.

Raid 0 will give you Read and Write speed increases, without losing harddrive space, but risking losing everything if either drive fails.

Raid 1 will give Write speed decreases (since it's writing to two drives), but Read speed increases (depending). You only get half the storage of Raid 0, but with redundancy.

Really you can do what you want. An SSD by itself is still blistering fast.

If you use Mac OS X a lot, I'd put it on the 2nd SSD and just forget about RAID.

If you don't use it a lot, but don't want to risk losing the data on your Win7 drives, go RAID1.

If you don't give a **** about losing data and just want raw performance in Win7, go RAID0.

Note: I'm pretty sure that RAID information is accurate. Could be wrong.

bojangles

Forget RAID on SSDs. They are fast enough as they are. Also, when you RAID, you lose TRIM. Like others said, RAID 0 risks EVERYTHING.

I would seriously use a Vertex 2 as your OS/most used application drive and a HDD for music/pictures/data/etc.

JimboToronto

If you back up your system RAID-0 is not a data risk and it will show you a performance increase as well as giving you a larger boot volume. If RAID-0 risks everything, so does a single storage device. It just increases the risk from device failure by the number of component drives.

In your case, RAID-0 might not be the best idea. With only two SSDs in the array, you'd be getting less performance benefit than from a larger array while still losing TRIM support and only having 2 controllers doing ITGC.

You might find it better to use them separately, one for Windows and one for apps, games, pagefile, etc. You could partition and put your OSX on ony partition and use the other for your Windows pagefile and some apps.

This way you'd have both OSes on SSDs with Windows splitting its chores between two drives and TRIM being available to both drives when you're in Window. This will keep your keep your NTFS partition TRIMmed so that ITGC can be used on the Mac partition. Keep both backed up to your HDD and hopefully another external device.