What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Reinstall W10 or 'Custom' install?

Mac29

I'm installing W10 (Pro 64b) but have the W10 HDD from old system in my new build. Thinking I'd get option to overwrite (I have a backup). I think a "fresh install" is best, but it's asking if I want to 'Upgrade' or 'Custom' install. Says Upgrade will copy my files, appls, etc.

It would be nice to just switch the key and anything w/ recognizes the new hardware. It can't act like an "Upgrade install" from W7 or W8. Only Windows on this HDD has been 10. New mobo, cpu and ram. If it overwrites W10 files it sounds like same files written as during a fresh install.

What are any downsides to choosing 'Upgrade'? Also, do you think I'll get to choose between build 1903 and 1909, released today?

Thanks for any input,

Mac

On2wheels

I can't speak towards the upgrade/custom install options, personally I always suggest the clean or custom install route and wipe the C partition. but I did build a new pc last month, and depending on the key type you originally used will dictate if it will allow activation with your new mobo, and cpu. Worth a shot at least.

JD

Staff member
Yeah no sense in doing an "Upgrade" on that screen, you might as well just let it boot normally and not do anything. It'll run through a little setup phase to fix up all the drivers and then you'll be back to your desktop with all your existing files/apps/etc. I just did this on my brothers PC, swapped motherboard/CPU/GPU, just let it boot up, everything still works fine.

If you want to re-install Windows though, always pick "custom".

As for 1903 vs 1909, it would depend what was downloaded when you made your USB, likely 1903.

Mac29

After further research it appears the clean install will 1) revamp the Registry and 2) wipe appls, so no appls to run at startup. I'm thinking you can alter startup via config.sys so the main benefit of a clean install is the pristine registry. Since I don't have any issues I can think of w/Windows I think I'll give 'Upgrade' install a try. I can always do a clean install later if I want. Research tells me it will change out any drivers.

One thing is, I don't want any future update to hose my personalizations. Like during a busy week. Rather change out the key now and know this should lock everything as kosher.

And yeah, figured out my download dictates the build ver., not any online files. I'll choose manual update and skip 1909 for a while. See if anything shakes out. But for future ref for myself, the clean install is, to me, all about the fresh registry.

I'm doing the reinstall to change the key to this hardware. Wasn't aware I could just boot the old W10 HDD and Windows would alter drivers. Although I had read W10 is NOT tied to the mobo.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Shadowmeph

the only thing I would do is not sign in using email creds ( I dont remember exactly how to do that) but leave the rest let it install automatically and update on it self. I moss the older OS where you could actually remove allot of the BS crap without killing the OS but now days the only thing you have any real control over is the not using your email to sign in . I have issues with that .

Mac29

@On2wheels: I have read on a number of sites, techs have done this. Even repeatedly. Works best when intel to other vs. the reverse. But besides all my personalizations I'd hate to find an update or something screws w/my MS appls at some point. Besides, AIUI you can use W10 w/o authentication. Just no personalizations. But I don't know for how long or if that may change.

At the last moment I got some feedback from a few who said they have used 'Upgrade' but it always causes problems later. Then they have to clean install anyway. Good to know. I'll stick w/the tried & true. Move appls, then reconfig everything : (

Also will wait a bit re: 1909. Though it doesn't sound like a real update, more a SP. For future readers if you do the Upgrade install I believe it creates a .old folder but it only keeps it for 10 days. Also I'm learning about new UEFI options and fast boot/secure boot.

Been a long time but this is going to be killer whenever Navi comes out.

Thanks.

MARSTG

Always fresh install off usb boot drive made with the latest media creation tool.

Latest posts