What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

should I switch to a socket AM2 crossfire board?

Caldezar

So I had a second PC for sale not long ago that a coworker was going to buy. As it turned out, his wife decided she didn't want him to buy it. Fortunately, however, my g/f has decided she wants to do a bit of gaming, so I guess that's where it's going for now.

Done with the history, now to the question:

The board in said PC is a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4. Being that this is now the weakest point in the hardware, I'm wondering how much of a performance difference I'd see if I upgraded the MB. The rest of the PC is as follows: (sorry for links, copy/pasted to save time)
CPU - AMD Athlon X2 6000+
VID - ASUS EAH4850 512MB
RAM - 4x 1GB Kingston 667MHz RAM (popped in extra RAM since it's staying with the GF)
PSU - OCZ Stealth-X-Stream 500W
HDD - 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATAII

I'm trying to answer two questions really; Should I bother upgrading the MB? If so, what's a decently priced MB to go with that supports socket AM2 with crossfire support rather than SLI since I've switched all my video cards in the house to the 48xx series.

Caldezar

I'm pretty flexible for the most part, but keep in mind the rest of the machine isn't a hard core gaming set-up. So I'd say trying to keep it around the $200 or lower is reasonable. Of course, if there's a so-so board for $175, and an "OMG WTF WOW!" board for $250... I'll spend the extra cash for a nice jump in performance. So really, like I said, I'm flexible. Of course, I DO want the board to be an upgrade, not a latteral move.

Caldezar

How much of a difference would it make to jump from 570i to 790x chipset though? This is sorta my focal question regarding the choice to upgrade. I want to know roughly the performance jump before considering what board to buy.

*note* this machine will most likely never be overclocked. So OC performance holds no bearing on me when making a choice.

BALISTX

I would have to say it would be quite a bit of a jump from the 570i board. This board will support the Phenom processors if you decided to upgrade to those later on.

Latest posts