What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Small business Network Gear Advise

Izerous

Folding Team
Please bare with me on this one, what do you mean by single injector? I cant seem to find the UDM-Pro-SE, Im just finding UDM-SE.
Sorry it is just UDM-SE. It is the same at the UDM-pro but the ports are PoE.

A "U-POE-at" will power a U6-LR

When I'm parked where that amazon truck is from the security camera I still have a usable wifi 6 signal and I measure that at 55ft on google maps to about where the access point is mounted.

These much cheaper PoE switch can also power Ubiquiti hardware, the bonus of the ubiquti ones is they will show up in the dashboard in a nice way.
this is exactly what I'm using to power 2 AP's and 2 cameras.

Our door entry system is also really old and I can replace it for a fraction of the cost with the ubiquiti stuff. They quoted me $2k to upgrade the motherboard... I can buy the ubiquiti kit and mount it in the office for a fraction of that.

Edit: I drank the koolaid and I liked it enough to have it at home and in the office, I really like that I have no monthly fees for anything i'm doing

Last edited:

danmitch1

Sorry it is just UDM-SE. It is the same at the UDM-pro but the ports are PoE.

A "U-POE-at" will power a U6-LR

When I'm parked where that amazon truck is from the security camera I still have a usable wifi 6 signal and I measure that at 55ft on google maps to about where the access point is mounted.

These much cheaper PoE switch can also power Ubiquiti hardware, the bonus of the ubiquti ones is they will show up in the dashboard in a nice way.
this is exactly what I'm using to power 2 AP's and 2 cameras.

Our door entry system is also really old and I can replace it for a fraction of the cost with the ubiquiti stuff. They quoted me $2k to upgrade the motherboard... I can buy the ubiquiti kit and mount it in the office for a fraction of that.

Edit: I drank the koolaid and I liked it enough to have it at home and in the office, I really like that I have no monthly fees for anything i'm doing
So the UDM-PRO is basically same as UDM-SE except the PoE ports, that's great to know if I only need 1 AP powered. pretty good savings. And great to know that theses AP's have such amazing range! Im wondering though, if they can afford it, maybe the PoE switch would simplify things and add more future network expansion?

JD

Staff member
If buying new, I'd go with the UDM-SE. It also has a 2.5G Ethernet interface which would be good to use with the HH4000's 10G ethernet port.

The UDM-SE also runs on UniFi OS 2.0 (3.0 in beta). The UDMP is way behind, it's still on 1.0, though they claim it will eventually get upgraded, I wouldn't bet on it.

I would still go with the USW-Pro-24-PoE if budget allows, no harm in being "ready" for any additional PoE devices (cameras, VoIP phones). It also has 10G uplink, so you can grab a DAC to link it up to the UDM.

danmitch1

If buying new, I'd go with the UDM-SE. It also has a 2.5G Ethernet interface which would be good to use with the HH4000's 10G ethernet port.

The UDM-SE also runs on UniFi OS 2.0 (3.0 in beta). The UDMP is way behind, it's still on 1.0, though they claim it will eventually get upgraded, I wouldn't bet on it.

I would still go with the USW-Pro-24-PoE if budget allows, no harm in being "ready" for any additional PoE devices (cameras, VoIP phones). It also has 10G uplink, so you can grab a DAC to link it up to the UDM.
Awesome, I think they will go for both the UDM_SE and USW-Pro-PoE and also might be tempted by the security cams and door locks!

crazyea

Awesome, I think they will go for both the UDM_SE and USW-Pro-PoE and also might be tempted by the security cams and door locks!
I have in my bst some unifi cams listed for sale. Recently I also had the udm se, u6 pro, and a poe switch for sale as well, but I didnt have any interest so I hooked them back up.

danmitch1

I have in my bst some unifi cams listed for sale. Recently I also had the udm se, u6 pro, and a poe switch for sale as well, but I didnt have any interest so I hooked them back up.
Sweet, ill hit you up if they are interested

SneakySnake

Typically for UPS's you are looking at minutes of battery life (maybe like 15 minutes) - not hours. The goal is to have the UPS software integrated with critical infrastructure so if a power outage exceeds a few minutes it will start to gracefully shut down critical infrastructure. This will prevent database errors and such that are caused by a hard shutdown (ex: power loss).

I will throw in a +1 for the Unifi gear. It works great and is a fraction the cost of many other business/enterprise gear.
Their routing/firewall capabilities are not amazing (but work fine as long as you aren't doing complex routing/firewall) but for wireless/layer2/cameras/doors Unifi is fantastic.