What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Something not right

Burkdaddy

Folks, I don't participate much here, mostly because you're all way way beyond me.

BUT... I come here first to do my research when I do a build.

So, I did just that, built a system and I feel like I'm getting mediocre performance. I don't play graphics intensive games. WoW, WildStar and... that's about it.

I average 40-60 FPS outdoors in WoW. I get 70ish...sometimes 100 in dungeons and closed in places. I should be getting a lot better I feel.

Plus, internet explorer and Mozilla are freezing and some other programs are lagging.

Here's my system.

1 x NZXT Source 530 CA-SO530-M1 Matte Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

1 x AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX

1 x ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard

1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

1 x CORSAIR RM Series RM1000 1000W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

1 x SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100364VXL Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support OC WITH BOOST Video ...

I feel like the R9 card has something to do with it. But... what do I know. I'm a noob. Any help would be appreciated.

ZZLEE

Look Up Malwarebytes, Spybot Search & Destory,

See if there is any trash hiding ?

CCleaner is a good one also.

Are you Overclocking anything ?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
The first thing I would do is download Process Explorer: Process Explorer

That will tell you what's eating up your resources and where those resources are being taken from.

Post back here with what you find so we can continue going through a process of elimination before assuming it is a virus.

Dzzope

Wow is way more resource hungry than you would imagine in Ultra setting.. The more people (and more fighting (effects) etc) the more you have to render.
My dual 780's can struggle to get 20fps (at 2560x1440) on world bosses that have loads of players (60 +)

I suggest you ask on the wow forums as people there will know what you should expect to get in the game for your hardware in x y z situation.

Bond007

Is it better in open areas without a lot of people and no effects happening?....otherwise all good recommends above.

Burkdaddy

First, thank you for responding.

Let me answer the questions I can.

1. No overclocking. Everything is stock. Air cool. Temps are in line. I'll post temps later when I run wow.

2. I own an updated and paid copy of Malwarebytes. Nothing.

3. I'll look at CC Cleaner. I use Wise Registry cleaner and some other wise products. BUT I try not to use the registry cleaner but once every 3 months or so. I also use Revo Uninstaller.

4. Process Explorer... I'll get it tonight.

5. As far as open areas, it's the same mostly. 30-40 fps or so. When there's a crowd, it drops some. Ordos kills I run about 20. Sometimes less.

Here's the thing though. When I first got it, I ran 100ish in SoO and ToT. During fights, it would drop to 40ish fps. Out doors, I would be 40-70 fps. Everything was fast fast fast.

One thing to note: I upgraded to Mediacom's 60 meg and I disconnect every 20-30 min and it reconnects immediately.

Let me do what you guys asked and get some raw data. Good info and much appreciated. :thumb:

clshades

If you are using these kinds of programs you can pretty much kiss your OS good bye.
Wise Registry cleaner.
All these programs do is completely screw up operating systems beyond belief... If you install a program and don't like it simply uninstall it via Programs and Features in control panel. Otherwise for the most part you install an OS and the software you most typically use and that is pretty much that for 12 months or longer (if you are lucky) If you haven't re-installed your OS in the last 12 months I would start there. Letting some other program remove registry entries is a bad idea IMO. I realize you probably love the software but I can pretty much guarantee they don't help windows run better... ever.

Install only the software you need on your computer and avoid all the bloatware that comes with some of this software. Like MacAfee w/ adobe and shit like that.

If you've run system defrag ever with an SSD... well. Sorry.

Burkdaddy

On the comment bout Wise Registry and programs like it...

My IT person at work said much the same. Keep it lean and don't install free crap from CNET.

I've had this set up for 4 months but... I think I'll reformat without that stuff.

Here's something on the performance side. I removed Malwarebytes Pro and my performance picked up dramatically.

SO... I'm thinking I need to learn how to set up Malwarebytes and the exceptions.

I'm currently in wow, outside running at 57 FPS... I'll take that. BUT I want my Malwarebytes back.

Thanks for the help. If anyone has more to add that they think will improve my situation, I'm grateful for it.

clshades

Malwarebytes should only be using about as much memory/cpu time as this browser window.... which is virtually insignificant. I would format and update the OS and hardware to current drivers. Including Mobo drivers/chipset. Generally I install the OS and then the mobo/chipset drivers 1st. Then Malwarebytes then everything else.

Make a list of programs you actually use and nuke everything else. I have been having major issues with Java recently and it is no longer allowed on any of my computers. When you do install software make sure you are completely aware of what you are installing instead of just clicking the express install every time. A lot of times softwares come bundled with bloatware and infest your computer with shite. Get familiar with the regular installs by installing them in advanced mode once in a while so you know whats really getting on your hard drive.

GL with your new install. Don't forget to run a program called Magic Jelly Bean to get your current CD key off your OS prior to formatting. Its a great little last second app before nuking and paving. KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean

Latest posts