What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Surface Laptop 3 (AMD) Lag

JD

Staff member
I bought a used Surface Laptop 3 AMD, it looks effectively new. I know it's not the greatest spec-wise as it's the 8GB/256GB model, but it seems like it should be able to run Windows 11 fluidly? This is the custom AMD Ryzen 5 3580U. Instead it's generally laggy overall, decided to run Crystal Disk Info and it says the drive health is 0 :ROFLMAO:

Do you guys think I'm in the right frame of mind that it's the SSD causing the slowness? It's really just used to browse the internet, nothing intense.

The only downfall is that of course it uses the tiny 2230 form factor, which doesn't leave many options. Not really looking to spend a whole lot since the laptop was only $250USD, so I was thinking the Sabrent Rocket? Not sure if anyone has a good source of the Toshiba/Kioxia drives, seems to be all 3rd party sellers...

sswilson

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if somebody here had one kicking around... if you had asked a month earlier I had one from my Dell that I sold locally for $15.

Izerous

Folding Team
I just bought a 1TB 2230 from memory express for the Steam Deck a couple weeks ago. I think it was $80 after taxes, IPR and price match.

They are no longer on sale but might be able to find a price match.

Solidigm is supposedly intel selling out to sk hynex so it isn't a no name brand even if you havn't heard of them before.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah likely the SSD performing error correction and slowing the PC down.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I'd say try a fresh install before anything else. SSD alignment might be off which would mean the SSD is fine, so I'd try that first IMO.

JD

Staff member
I'd say try a fresh install before anything else. SSD alignment might be off which would mean the SSD is fine, so I'd try that first IMO.
Already is, I wouldn't trust a used laptop install anyways

I just bought a 1TB 2230 from memory express for the Steam Deck a couple weeks ago. I think it was $80 after taxes, IPR and price match.
Suppose it makes sense to keep an eye out for sales... I'll add this Solidigm to my list then!

Latest posts