What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Surge Protectors

dbear

Hey guys, not sure if this questions falls in this thread, but i'll try.

Just got a new computer rig last month and its awesome. Next purchase on the list is some kind of surge protector as I've been having random electricity outage in my apartment for a quick second. Sucks and very unpredictable so I thought I'd do some research.

I have no knowledge about these whatsoever and if anyone knows of a good one, please recommend! I'm looking for one that has a battery or something so when the electricty blinks, my computer will remain on. No budget really.. 6-8 outlets. If you guys can tell me more about then, then please do!

Thanks!

dbear

Nice, that looks promising. I'll check that out. Thanks ZZlee. In the meantime, keep them coming!

System specs are:

i7 930 - coolmaster hyper 212 plus
ati radeon XFX 5850
Gigabyte X58UDR-3
6 Gigs of Ram Corsair Dominators
Windows7 ultimate 64-bit
Corsair 750 watt power supply
HAF 932 tower case

dbear

whoa, I believe ya, but that thing is way to expensive. Stupid question, but do they consume a lot of power or something? I live in an apartment and pay hydro. These certain types of surge protectors don't raise the electricity usage level do they?

Soultribunal

Staff member
whoa, I believe ya, but that thing is way to expensive. Stupid question, but do they consume a lot of power or something? I live in an apartment and pay hydro. These certain types of surge protectors don't raise the electricity usage level do they?

Not that expensive if you find the right dealer. And no they won't consume much power at all, they require very little themselves to keep the batteries full and operational.

ST

lcdguy

Folding Team
1. Eaton's are great ups's we use some of the bigger ones at work (power ware 9130 baby).

2. If you have a costco membership they sometimes have good prices on ups's and surge protected powerbars. I got my APC 1300VA there for $130 and a APC surge protected powerbar for $20

dbear

I noticed they all have a certain amount of watts on the products. How do I know which one to get? The more the better?

lcdguy

Folding Team
the higher the number just means the more stuff it can protect. For example let's say you have a ups that can handle a max load of 350 watts. your computer let's say draws 400 watts at full load. What do you think will happen when the power dies. all the energy from the battery will dumped into keeping the computer up and running instantly. Personally i use the 60% rule that i just made up. Don't go over 60% of the max load.

now with pure surge supressors just get the one with the highest surge rating you can afford. Also keep in mind that most UPS units also act as line conditioners.

dbear

Hmm I'm not to sure if understand the 'going over the 60%' part. I have no clue how much watts my computer even draws in. Would it be the power supply which is 650 watts?

I'm looking to shop at Canada computers and noticed there are many to pick out. Any recommendations on brands? APC ones seem to be popular..

thanks lcdguy!

Latest posts