What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

The "What book are you reading" Thread

lowfat

Staff member
ka55pdi.jpg

LaughingCrow

The Mask of Mirrors...

Ordered and started reading & enjoying it. Will be ordering Book 2 - Liar's Knot & hoping the trilogy will be finished soon (I'm still waiting for the 3rd book in Patrick Rothfuss's “The Kingkiller Chronicles.” )

I found out that the tarot type card system (Pattern Reading) they use in the book, is online and you can do 2 different types of readings - a 3 card or 9 card.
Discovered that one of the cards is named Laughing Crow... no relation 😁

Pattern Reading M.A. Carrick

lowfat

Staff member
The Mask of Mirrors...

Ordered and started reading & enjoying it. Will be ordering Book 2 - Liar's Knot & hoping the trilogy will be finished soon (I'm still waiting for the 3rd book in Patrick Rothfuss's “The Kingkiller Chronicles.” )

I found out that the tarot type card system (Pattern Reading) they use in the book, is online and you can do 2 different types of readings - a 3 card or 9 card.
Discovered that one of the cards is named Laughing Crow... no relation 😁

Pattern Reading M.A. Carrick
I'm not quite done. Not sure if I'll continue with the series though. First the names are some of the hardest to distinguish in any book I've read. I'm like 90% done and STILL have no idea who is who for a lot of people. The first half of the book was relatively boring as well. But have enjoyed the later half.

LaughingCrow

I'm not quite done. Not sure if I'll continue with the series though. First the names are some of the hardest to distinguish in any book I've read. I'm like 90% done and STILL have no idea who is who for a lot of people. The first half of the book was relatively boring as well. But have enjoyed the later half.

There's no Wiki on it yet with character outlines but a few articles available online, easily found. I struggled a bit at the beginning. I thought there might be a lot of people to keep track of - difficult if you're not able to read it daily. For me that can be an issue when good weather comes around & I'm outside more. But it's not as bad as some books I've read that have 3-5 pages of characters listed at the front or back of the book.

There's no Wiki on it yet with character outlines but a few articles/reviews available online, easily found.

The title also caught me because it's very similar to the music CD The Mask & Mirror by Canadian singer/songwriter Loreena McKennitt.

Marrakesh Night Market
Would you like my mask?
Would you like my mirror?
Cries the man in the shadowing hood
You can look at yourself
You can look at each other
Or you can look at the face of your god

lowfat

Staff member
Finished Mask of Mirrors. Unless I run out of books in my queue (rather unlikely) I don't think I'll continue with it. It isn't bad just not my thing.

Started. The other Buehlman book I've read was imo brilliant and I've heard this is great as well.
61Nxq9EvcKL.jpg

LaughingCrow

Finished Mask of Mirrors. Unless I run out of books in my queue (rather unlikely) I don't think I'll continue with it. It isn't bad just not my thing.
Finished as well. I'll read book 2. It was a struggle in places. The magic system in use is rather cryptic, along with the hierarchy of people. But the story was engaging & mysterious enough to keep me going.

LaughingCrow

The Age of Surveillance Capitalism, 2019, by Shoshana Zuboff. Hefty book with a lot of good reviews about how detailed her journalism.

She defines Surveillance Capitalism:
1. A new economic order that claims human experience as free raw material for hidden commercial practices of extraction, prediction & sales.
2. A parasitic economic logic in which the production of goods & services is subordinated to a new global architecture of behavioural modification...

And that was before AI development reached a point of no return. Curious to what she'd add to this now.

The-Age-of-Surveillance-Capitalism.jpg

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. I'm not sure how I missed this series of books, as I've read a bunch of his other books.

Inik

Folding Team
I should add it to my list! Just finished the last book of the stormlight archive

Latest posts