What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Time to start asking questions

DSherman

Hey guys, how about that Juniors game last night....:censored:!!

Well lets start off by saying I've just build my first Rig ever :clap:. I spent a fair bit of time searching and comparing products, making sure theres no bottle necking, compatibility and etc. My intent was to build the nicest rig with a budget of $1000. (thats taxes & shipping Inc.) After building, installing and letting Driver Wiz make sure I've downloaded that recent drivers I sat back, look, and took pictures..... what a awesome ADDICTING FEELING! What a rush!

Well.... after a few days of playing with window 7 and making it look all costume, I installed some of my games. That good feeling started to fade away. I come to realize that I have a bottle neck....my Video Card. I should of built my rig around a video card instead of an all around rig. Anyhow my video card has limits, :sad: live and learn.

Now after hours and hour of reading, reading and Oh Ya more reading, I came too an ideathat I can probably get alot more jam out of this default rig with some tweaking and stuff. (Complete Noob Here) I sure messed things up :whistle: but I got it all back to default, thank god.
I've now figured out MIS afterburner. Hours of benchmarks and monitoring temps I've come up with, I think is the best setting for my card here...... 1150mv / 875mhz core / 1200mhz mem / 63*c. FurMark 1.7.0 Score was 5451 and a 3D mark Score of P3492 :sad:. This is the best I can get with just afterburner. Still not really happy.

I know I have to start messing around with my Cpu/Ram/system voltage and that scarey thing call BOIS. BUT after messing up things the first time by just doing my own learning, I've come to realize I need to start asking questions and getting alittle help before I start frying my system.... Well here GOES!

Just remember I've put everything back to default except for the MSI afterburner on my card. TurboV is not installed again yet, not sure if I will. BOIS is all auto, default and stuff. I figured I'd start with the RAM. Now, when I start up CPUZ it tells me --> 533.3mhz DRAM Freq. @ 7 7 7 20. (I have 1600mhz ram in my system) This is showing me 1066mhz. whats the deal? Ok ok.... I've read the forums.... just go in your BOIS and switch the famous auto speed to 1600mhz and your done......NOPE! I did that and got a nice 400 point increase on my 3D Mark score, thinking im a OC master now. Im on my way to record OC's. :doh: Start a game, played it for about 15-20mins........then BAMMM! Now the Crit errors began. :angry2: What the hell have I done NOW. I run memtest86+, my ram is TOAST! OK ok.... I try to fix. Try to figure out which ram, BOTH! Hmm.... second step, which should of been the first was put the BOIS setting back to auto. Run memtest86+ again..... Ram is perfect! :clap: After I changed the BOIS ram Freq to 1600mhz, CPUZ showed 800mhz like its suppose to be, but I did think the 11/11/11/ 27 time is kinda weird since my ram is suppose to be 9/9/9/24 timing or something like that. So I kinda figured that probably was the problem.
Now, FINALLY.....The Damn question! After returning the settings in BOIS back to the famous auto, "how can I get the FULL jam out of my RAM"!

PLEASE remember im a NOOB!

Sorry guys for taking soooo long to get to the question, just want to give as much info as possible. Im still pretty much excited about my new rig so. :bleh:

Thanks ahead of time for any HELP guys.

gingerbee

i would set ram at 800mhz effective 1600mhz and then set your ram voltage maybe your ram has to be at 1.65 to run 1600mhz which some does and auto might have it at 1.5 ram-voltage hint hint hence why it would error. and after looking yes it needs to be at 1.65 for 1600mhz

edit in his system specs section ha ha. 9-9-9-27 latency timings listed for those sticks

DSherman

Thank You

Yes, Thank you for the Welcome. This is my first membership to a forum. Like I've mentioned I need to start asking question and better way but being part of a forum. Ahh.. as far as full system specs, I think its in the top right hand corner .... NO? If you don't see it pls tell me. Would like to know if im doing something wrong on these post. Just incase it isn't there ----->

Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower
LG GH24NS50 24X
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM
ASUS M4A79XTD Evo ATX AM3 790X
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W
Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-27
XFX Radeon HD 6850 775MHZ

Here you go Eldonko, Thanks again.

Hey Gingerbee, Thanks for your quick respond too.

Ok well... :whistle: I know where too put the 1600mhz. Where in the BOIS (or should I use TurboV?) exactly do I put the 1.65v? Where in the BOIS do I go to set the timing, :sad:. What exactly is the auto option for then?

I would simply think common sence of just finding the Info of a stick of ram and entering it into BOIS.....DONE. Never have to mess with it again and it runs exactly like it suppose to. Maxed settings for it.

Thanks Gingerbee

DSherman

Ahh... Bottlenecking.
How can explain..... maybe bottlenecking not the right term, remember.... be nice I am a novice.:sad:

I guess I had high standers for what a video card can do.... I expected to run World Of Warcraft at Ultra, COD black OP's at full and so on. I don't think any thing on my system lags or is under powered. So im kinda pin pointing the Graphics card because it the part that does all the work...Right?

Anyhow.. Thanks

_dangtx_

Banned
nice riggie you got there. good choice of gpu,hdd,ram,case too.

now,some guys will tell you you need 12+ hours of prime etc to be stable. i say start at one hour, if no issues try some more.

Slaughter

Hmm I haven't tried either of those games unfortunately so I can't say. Are you sure the graphics drivers are up to date? My setup is similar to yours except I only have a 5770 and battlefield bc2 runs at full without issue at 1920x1080. I'd assume CoD is close to that bur I could be wrong.

DSherman

Hey Dangtx, Thanks for the nice words. But .... lol, what the hell are you talking about need 12+ hours of "prime" to be stable?? Lol.. remember, Noob here!

Hey slaughter, ya... I don't know what to say. I've OC with afterburner and stats have gone up but now Im working on get my ram running where its suppose to be. I know that'll help alot. Like I mention before... its running ok. Im just trying to get it to work Great. :)

Thanks