What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Winter Tires: And Why YOU Need Them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perineum

Classic , blame the cops for your bad driving. :rofl:

I'm not blaming cops for anything. I'm saying they can't drive for shit, at least most of them. People with "experienced" driving records (even if no crashes) don't make it in to be RCMP. Cops just gave me tickets for varying things, that all.

He's a clue for you.... getting a speeding ticket or getting a ticket for *anything* including "excessive noise" (the blanket term cops use when they want to give you a ticket but nothing else will stick) does not make you a good or bad driver. Your rate of accidents do. Paying attention, being able to predict what traffic is going to do are all skills a lot of people don't do. They are reactive drivers and get into a situation and it's always a "holy shit" situation for them.

Your arrogance of your "abilities" is laughable, but should cause fear given your ignorance to proper setup for a vehicle and being proud of your driving history. Glad I share the road with you.

Yes, I'm sure it's laughable. I have no right to be confident in my 2 decades of winter driving. After all, I'm some pencil necked keyboard warrior typing from my mother's basement, right?

I don't think that your incompetence with driving should have any affect on me. Your insecurities about your driving or manliness does not affect me. However, buy me some winter tires and I'll use them, even though they're *not* remotely required where I live right now.

Perineum

:thumb: Since performance isnt an issue, I'm sure he drives his summers till they are bald too? At least we now know who the real 'functional retard' is in this thread; Him. :ban:

The best part is no one said that winter tires are an 'cure all' but he just refutes that they even help. Doesnt that make his argument about being Sébastien Loeb all the more ironic? Being an amazing driver IS a cure all, but winter tires dont ever help. :rofl: Logic at its finest. Then he goes on to argue about physics...

Back on topic. There are merits to being able to to drive well, and the abilities and benifits that gives you to avoid accidents, however, the merits and physics behind winter tires also enhance those abilities. Friction being what it is, and all. :whistle:

90 degree turns, at 40km/h. Do you make it? Winter tires = yes. All-Seasons = no.

Reference:
http://tirf.ca/publications/PDF_publications/2012_Winter_Tire_Report_7.pdf

Sure, you can be a rally car driver, and make that turn regardless. But since Perenium isn't (at least that I'm aware of) and the majority of Canada are not, I'll use winters! :thumb:

Another person who comments and can't read.

The OP said that the winter tires were a cure all.

I stated that they help mostly with acceleration and stopping quickly. When I buy winters I also get them studded. ANYONE WHO DOES NOT DRIVE WITH STUDDED WINTER TIRES IS A CRIMINAL AND IS TAKING UNNECESSARY RISKS AND IS GOING TO KILL EVERYONE.

I'm not saying I'm Sebastien Loeb and never did. I can however, use quite a few different options to taking that corner you're talking about.

1. Slow down.
2. If rear wheel drive, just step on the gas and slide the ass end around before the corner then steer into the skid.
3. If front wheel drive step on the gas slightly and use a bit of e-brake, again just before the corner.

Easiest just to slow down since you're driving a car that doesn't have winters on, right? You know, drive what you got and drive to your abilities and all that.... a concept that is very very difficult for people in this thread.

Of course it's easy for everyone to sit back and claim I'm a shitty driver because I had some speeding tickets. Does it make any sense? No, but feel free to do that.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Wait, now you have winters? I thought you couldnt afford them, but can afford to fix your car in an accident, and the guy you hit, and pay for the extra gas it costs to run summers in the winter? :haha:

Another person who comments and can't read.
Easiest just to slow down since you're driving a car that doesn't have winters on, right? You know, drive what you got and drive to your abilities and all that.... a concept that is very very difficult for people in this thread.

Of course it's easy for everyone to sit back and claim I'm a shitty driver because I had some speeding tickets. Does it make any sense? No, but feel free to do that.

Pot, this is kettle: I cant read?

Back on topic. There are merits to being able to to drive well, and the abilities and benifits that gives you to avoid accidents, however, the merits and physics behind winter tires also enhance those abilities. Friction being what it is, and all. :whistle:

And, again,

Sure, you can be a rally car driver, and make that turn regardless. But since Perenium isn't (at least that I'm aware of) and the majority of Canada are not, I'll use winters! :thumb:

But hey, I'd love to see you drift around a corner with a car sitting at a red light.

You do realize others are on the road too?

Oh, and studs are illegal in a lot of provinces. :thumb:

Please, continue to troll. I like this thread a lot better then the gun thread :ph34r:

clg

I don't think that your incompetence with driving should have any affect on me. Your insecurities about your driving or manliness does not affect me. However, buy me some winter tires and I'll use them, even though they're *not* remotely required where I live right now.

My incompetence? The difference between me and you is I'm humble enough to admit I'm human and can only react so quickly to a situation. You however seem to think you're gods gift to the road. I don't need to prove my abilities to anyone, you however seem quite quick to. Who's the insecure one here? :rofl:

I stated that they help mostly with acceleration and stopping quickly. When I buy winters I also get them studded. ANYONE WHO DOES NOT DRIVE WITH STUDDED WINTER TIRES IS A CRIMINAL AND IS TAKING UNNECESSARY RISKS AND IS GOING TO KILL EVERYONE.

I'm not saying I'm Sebastien Loeb and never did. I can however, use quite a few different options to taking that corner you're talking about.

1. Slow down.
2. If rear wheel drive, just step on the gas and slide the ass end around before the corner then steer into the skid.
3. If front wheel drive step on the gas slightly and use a bit of e-brake, again just before the corner.

Aww man, I can't believe I just got such sweet lessons free!!!!1

Because a tire going sideways has much better traction to keep your line than letting the tire roll through right? Winter driving 101, stay off the brakes and steer through a situation. However if you can do it sideways as described in #2 or 3 you'll be rewarded with first place and be the coolest guy on the computer forum.

You should've came out to our winter track events in Ontario where you had free reign of a course and could drive however you saw fit. Funny part though, we did some timed laps and the fastest guy around was a Forster ST, not the guys in WRX/STI's thinking sideways was the be all end all of snow driving. I guess he should've taken your pro-tips and the gap between him and the others would've been even bigger!

You know, drive what you got and drive to your abilities and all that.... a concept that is very very difficult for people in this thread.

Right, because everyone who gets into an accident is driving outside their abilities. None of them are minding their own business and get dealt a shitty hand?

No, people are claiming your a irresponsible driver. You're backing it up too with your childish bragging and attempts to portray yourself as some gifted special snowflake. You're how old? It's time to grow up Vin Diesel.

Perineum

Wait, now you have winters? I thought you couldnt afford them, but can afford to fix your car in an accident, and the guy you hit, and pay for the extra gas it costs to run summers in the winter? :haha:

When I lived up north some of the time I had studded winter tires. Right now I don't have them and don't need them... and couldn't afford them anyway.

I don't need to worry about fixing my car or someone elses in an accident as my insurance doesn't work like that.... I would just pay a deductible which would still be cheaper than buying a set of winters. The gas usage wouldn't even be a consideration.

You do realize others are on the road too?

Yes, and I get to see them in ditches in droves when it snows down here, when their ABS and traction control was unable to save them.

I pass them driving my rear wheel drive 5.0L Mustang with my summer tires on. They're not bald yet, though, but that's a great cost cutting idea you've got. I can probably get another year before the wires hang out and then they'll act sorta like studded tires, right?

Oh, and studs are illegal in a lot of provinces. :thumb:

I actually did not know that.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
When I lived up north some of the time I had studded winter tires. Right now I don't have them and don't need them... and couldn't afford them anyway.

I don't need to worry about fixing my car or someone elses in an accident as my insurance doesn't work like that.... I would just pay a deductible which would still be cheaper than buying a set of winters. The gas usage wouldn't even be a consideration.

My deductible is $500. Most people have $1k that I know in Ontario. Even the $500 gets me a set of 225/70-16 Blizzaks...

Yes, and I get to see them in ditches in droves when it snows down here, when their ABS and traction control was unable to save them.

I pass them driving my rear wheel drive 5.0L Mustang with my summer tires on.
Again, abilities. Just like you said. Lots of people dont know how to drive effectively, but that doesnt mean they wont gain 'ability' by using winters, now does it?

They're not bald yet, though, but that's a great cost cutting idea you've got. I can probably get another year before the wires hang out and then they'll act sorta like studded tires, right?
The Troll wins! :rofl::rofl::rofl: I actually 'lol'd at this.

Gotta go now, your mom needs part of me again she says :thumb:

Perineum

My incompetence? The difference between me and you is I'm humble enough to admit I'm human and can only react so quickly to a situation. You however seem to think you're gods gift to the road. I don't need to prove my abilities to anyone, you however seem quite quick to. Who's the insecure one here? :rofl:

Actually there is no way for me to prove my abilities to you. What should I do? Install cameras on my car and upload the video to youtube?

Not going to happen, I don't care that much.

Yes, I'm telling you all about my lack of winter tires from time to time due to my complete lack in confidence regarding my driving.

<insert LOLs and :rofl: here>

Aww man, I can't believe I just got such sweet lessons free!!!!1

Because a tire going sideways has much better traction to keep your line than letting the tire roll through right? Winter driving 101, stay off the brakes and steer through a situation. However if you can do it sideways as described in #2 or 3 you'll be rewarded with first place and be the coolest guy on the computer forum.

Thanks for the driving lesson "101" as you put it. I'll put it to great use, I promise.

Right, because everyone who gets into an accident is driving outside their abilities. None of them are minding their own business and get dealt a shitty hand?

Sometimes people do, yes.

No, people are claiming your a irresponsible driver. You're backing it up too with your childish bragging and attempts to portray yourself as some gifted special snowflake. You're how old? It's time to grow up Vin Diesel.

People can claim I'm an irresponsible driver if they want. I don't drive to their opinion of what driving should be, I drive the way I like to drive. It has resulted in a safe driving career, too.

I'm not portraying myself as anything special. If anything I compared myself to a drunk redneck. The things I described in #2 and #3 are not difficult and I have used them in the winter to get myself out of an accident situation.

That's even despite getting tickets for "stunting" from the local cops in empty parking lots at 3AM.

clg

$5 says Perineum got a free copy of Dirt3 with a recent parts buy and now think's he's the best driver in all of Surrey.

Perineum

My deductible is $500. Most people have $1k that I know in Ontario. Even the $500 gets me a set of 225/70-16 Blizzaks...

Mine here is $300

Again, abilities. Just like you said. Lots of people dont know how to drive effectively, but that doesnt mean they wont gain 'ability' by using winters, now does it?

I think the majority of them will just drive that much faster and negate the effect of winter tires had in the first place.

Some people I know drive so hard and fast that they use the ABS every single time they approach a stop sign. That's not how it should be, but the ABS allows them to do that, until the time it's just way too fast for ABS to do anything effective.

Gotta go now, your mom needs part of me again she says :thumb:

She is rather needy at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts