What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Samsung's Fastest SSD Reads at a Face-Melting 2,500 MBps

crazyea

Crazy speed, with an affordable price tag.

Samsung's Fastest SSD Reads at a Face-Melting 2,500 MBps

Samsung has just launched its latest SSD — and it happens to be the fastest consumer drive it’s ever made, with read speeds of up to 2,500MBps and write speeds as fast as 1,500MBps. That is seriously speedy.

The 950 Pro SSD is an update to its predecessor, the 850 Pro, and boy is it an upgrade: it reads four times faster and writes three times faster. Ars Technica points out that such a dramatic bump in performance is in most part due to the use of what’s called a Non-Volatile Memory Host Controller Interface rather than the Advanced Host Controller Interface that many SSDs continue to use. The problem with AHCI is that it designed by Intel in 2004 for the old spinning-plate HDDs, and as a result it now presents a data bottleneck.

The new 950 Pre eschews the regular 2.5-inch drive format in favor of the M.2 2280 form factor, sometimes referred to as the “gumstick” format for fairly obvious reasons. The SSDs will be available from October in in 256GB and 512GB versions, and they’ll set you back $200 and $350 respectively.

Vittra

There will be a 1TB in 2016 as well, it's been mentioned in some of the announcement articles.

On a related note, the 850 Pro will be receiving a 4TB model for their 2.5" drives.

MARSTG

200$, I guess USD, is lower than 1$/GB commanded by Intel 750 and has BETTER performance!

crazyea

USD or not, these are great prices when items with this kind of performance is usually multiple x more expensive.

MARSTG

Better sequential speed sure. But I bet it won't come close to the 750 in terms of small file random read/writes.

I agree, but those metrics you mention are more commonly met in enterprise space not desktop. Loading game levels is a sequential load!

lowfat

Staff member
I agree, but those metrics you mention are more commonly met in enterprise space not desktop. Loading game levels is a sequential load!

I don't agree. Low queue depth small file performance is very important. You generally won't see a queue depth higher than 1 or 2 on a gaming computer. But you definitely will get a high number of I/Os.

AkG

Using sequential performance is a less than optimal method of choosing a ssd. There are simply way too many ways a mfg'er can 'game' the stats its not even funny. More to the point....low queue depth, small file performance is king. Use THAT metric for picking a drive....as it will give you a more realistic idea of real world performance. IE Small file r/w performance is what makes a drive feel 'fast'.

Enterprise consumers only care about DEEP queue depth performance...not shallow. ;)