What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AMD Announces Radeon VII, a 7nm Vega 20 GPU based card

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
as VR gear gets more affordable, it will begin to take off...but right now it requires a bit of an investment in order to support and use...and if this card is an RTX 2080 challenger, it definitely fits the profile for the targeted niche.

JD

Staff member
All the current HMD's are using HDMI last time I checked...

Don't see why you'd need a VR port this early unless you're the type that buys each new HMD when it comes out...

Gman109

All the current HMD's are using HDMI last time I checked...

Don't see why you'd need a VR port this early unless you're the type that buys each new HMD when it comes out...

You're correct, my Vives, Rifts, and both Odyssey models all use HDMI. Many of the 2080/ti cards only have a single HDMI port, which means if you're using display port for your LCD, HDMI for your 4k TV, etc, you have to switch cables every time you want to fire up your VR unit. I realize there are a couple 2080ti cards that have 2 and even 3 HDMI ports, but the vast majority, all 3 I have from 2 brands, are only made with a single HDMI port.

I wouldn't mind a dedicated VR port, but it's no deal breaker for me either way.

JJThomp

I was not impressed. Ok so it goes toe to toe with the 2080 it seems. Which don't get me wrong, is a good thing, but just not enough. And that demo of DMC made me nervous for them, why? Well if you noticed the fps, it was high but any time they turned to the one direction that had more open sky and distant draw distances, it dropped way down to just over 60fps without any action. And he kept running around in that closed section to keep the fps high.

Just don't get me wrong, I really want them to succeed, it would help with Nvidia prices and competition is never bad.

Don't forget it's also an unfinished game with pre-release drivers. Performance is only up from there.

FreeKnight

699 US $ will translate to 1000 cad?

Probably about that, maybe a little higher. Actual rate would be about $930, but that's a currency trade rate, it's always a little worse for consumers. Factor in the actual exchange premium, a bit of a 'safety factor'/excuse to bump price from retailers and the unofficial 'Canada tax' (price premium) for electronics here and I think it'll be priced along the same as the 2080 cards at the moment. Basically $950 for the absolute cheapest and most sitting closer to $1000-1100

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Considering that the EVGA GTX 2080 Black is $699 US on Newegg and $999 CDN on Newegg.ca, you'll be seeing retail pricing right around the $1000 Cdn mark. AMD is marketing this as a 2080 beater for the same price.