What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Apparently we been over buying wattage

moocow

Saw this testing video from GN. Surprise to see that the newer systems even with Nvidia 2070 and 2080 doesn't break 500W system draw during gaming.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
That's why you look at the efficiency curves. Guess your peak useage and try to get a PSU that puts that load in the peak efficiency range.

FreeKnight

This has been pretty well known for a while IMO. There's a certain 'buy extra just in case' to this as well. It's an easy path to get on because the change in PSU price going from a 500w to 650w to 750w isn't all that much as part of a build's overall price.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
As @CMetaphor and @FreeKnight say, (at least among us enthusiasts) this is fairly common knowledge.

I bought a 650w for exactly these reasons. Modern systems are quite efficient with CPU's and system components drawing less and less power overall. Only GPU's are still hogs, as shown by Red Teams 395w current gen and Green Teams next gen 400w cards; Even those numbers might not mean actual power draw at full load.

The days of needing 1000w or even 1200w supplies probably never existed, except in fringe cases of @3.0charlie running (killing?) Dual CPU on SR2 with SLI gpus or something crazy.

Izerous

Folding Team
I needed 1.1kW+ with old system, modern system peaks around 650W

sswilson

Staff member
Yeah, some of us running heavily OC'd processors on 4 card folding farms back in the day probably needed 850W(ish) in order to keep our PSUs from running @ 90% 24/7..... :)

Bond007

I have been suggesting people buy more appropriate psu’s for some time now. Mid tier setups are fine on 5-600W. A “normal” Gaming pc 650. High end GPU and cpu with OC on both 750. It is out of the norm to need 850+, unless you are going extreme OC, multi GPU, or

You could get away on less then that if you are constrained, or using a power supply you already have, but that is how I generally recommend. Keeps you in the efficiency curve, and with ample headroom.

The new 3090 will buck the trend a bit though I would guess.

Shadowmeph

I think people do this in general for all thing more is better more powerful bigger is better type thinking hehe
this sort of reminds me my PSus I have been using are decent name brands but they are old probably time to replace them wished there was a way to service them I really dont like waste

clshades

Depends what you're building I guess. My last water cooling build had 15 fans etc. I populated most of my power supply trying to wire everything. All that was left was power for more video cards.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Depends what you're building I guess. My last water cooling build had 15 fans etc. I populated most of my power supply trying to wire everything. All that was left was power for more video cards.

And here we have a clear example of why the industry is moving to ATX12vo standard. Its not an intel gimmick, it simply makes sense.

Latest posts