What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Pixel 5...?! When did that happen?

JD

Staff member
It was Google's launch day for it's yearly products. I grabbed a Pixel 5 since my Pixel 3 has some battery issues (though the battery I put in it has been fine thus far) but I figure for $180 trade-in, plus the crazy deal we are getting on the phone here, I'm looking at "only" $620.

The Pixel 4a 5G seems a decent step up from the 4a as well, kind of an "XL" I suppose, but oddly a smaller battery than the 5.

The Google TV dongle for $69 looks pretty good too, though I don't see a reason to replace my SHIELD TV with one.

The Nest Audio speaker, at least in their presentation, seemed to be really focused on audio quality. For $129, that might be a strong competitor to Sonos and such. It also seems to have a new feature where you can tell it to shift the audio to the next room as your walking about your house so the audio blends in as your walking to the next room.

Lysrin

I liked the Chromecast Google TV dongle too. Big fan of Chromecast but having all the apps in one screen interface, that'd be a nice option. And that price is decent too I agree.

@JD you already bought a Pixel 5! Nice. Seems to have everything I was hoping for, except for perhaps the dual front facing speakers. Specs say stereo speakers but I'm not sure where they are located. But that screen looks nice. Says "Flexible OLED"... not sure what that means in the context of this phone?

JD

Staff member
Seems to have everything I was hoping for, except for perhaps the dual front facing speakers. Specs say stereo speakers but I'm not sure where they are located. But that screen looks nice. Says "Flexible OLED"... not sure what that means in the context of this phone?
I think the headset speaker + speaker on the bottom of the phone, usually how "stereo" phones work these days with the bezel-less designs.

And yeah, maybe I hit buy too quickly (only a few minutes after the show ended), as there's still some missing bits of information about it. But it seems like the 4a 5G sold out pretty quick as it shows as "join waiting list" now. COVID has just made me want new toys! :)

But I don't think there's much "better" for $800 at least, maybe OnePlus 8 but their camera is still not quite as good as Pixel's. And it seems like the Pixel 5 should feel a bit more premium too with its aluminum body and Gorilla Glass 6.

Lysrin

But I don't think there's much "better" for $800 at least, maybe OnePlus 8 but their camera is still not quite as good as Pixel's. And it seems like the Pixel 5 should feel a bit more premium too with its aluminum body and Gorilla Glass 6.

And I still like the direct from Google option for longer term software support for security and updates.

Lysrin

I was just reading an article on MobileSyrup listing the cost and availability of the Pixel 5 from various providers. It is a lot more expensive from the providers! As in $950 from some.

The $799 price, do we know if that is a pre-order only price or if that is the price that will stick if you buy from Google later on?

JD

Staff member
As in $950 from some.
...which would be roughly the correct conversion of $699USD. I've seen some say that the Canadian model is cheaper as it doesn't have mmWave 5G, but as far as I know, none of the Canadian carriers are using that, or at least not yet. I believe that's the one that conspiracy theorists believe give you cancer and whatever else.

There's still those that believe it will go on sale for even less on Black Friday, like the Pixel 3 and 4 did? I don't know if I'd agree with that since it seems COVID has limited manufacturing and supply, so I'm not sure they'll have much "overstock" after the initial set of pre-orders.