What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Starfield

ipaine

Well since we finally got some actual footage I thought why not start a proper thread about it.

Here is the gameplay trailer from today.

And after watching it, well damn I'm liking what I see. I mean it is Bethesda so I'm sure it will be buggy, but the size and scope and what you can do is very intriguing. I can say that the odds of me not getting it a pretty slim.

I'm just hoping that with the ability to hire people for outposts and ship crew and such will lead to more interactions and possible relationships. Oh and man I can only imagine what we will get once modders get ahold of it.

What are others thoughts?

Last edited:

FreeKnight

I'm interested. I generally really enjoy Bethesda games even if I'm very critical of certain aspects (engine issues, facial animation, writing).

Bethesda did step up their QA with Fallout 4 so hopefully they've continued that and it won't be as buggy as say Fallout 3 at release. I'm mostly pleased to see the graphical upgrade. Lets face it, NPCs in Skyrim looked weird and Fallout 3/4 got better, but even in 4 some facial movements were off.

Won't pre-order, but I'll quite possibly get this at release as long as it reviews at least 7/10 (and it's highly unlikely it doesn't get at least 9/10 after years of hype and product development).

Shadowarez

Folding Team
now if only theyd scrap the entire game and redo it in UE5 we would have a Truly next gen game as this creation engine is well everyone knows the limitations and woes.

FreeKnight

now if only theyd scrap the entire game and redo it in UE5 we would have a Truly next gen game as this creation engine is well everyone knows the limitations and woes.
I've read that there's legal issues to the implementation of mods in UE (Obsidian said something about with The Outer Worlds) and toolkits can't be made available for public use etc.
So I'm kind of a mind where I'm glad they're not defaulting to UE, but there's certainly problems with the Gamebryo/Creation engine. I know Howard's claimed 'The engine isn't the same, we revise it, gamers don't know what they're talking about' but when there's clear problems with the game engine that go as far back as Oblivion but still show up in Fallout 4, his comments don't quite sit well with me.

Maybe a new 'in house' engine, or a complete rebuild from the ground up would help. I'll give creation credit for it's flexibility in some things, but I definitely feels like it's got some structural issues.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
It's like EoW went through so many expansions and tech to be updated must have been an absolute nightmare.

Lysrin

Looks like I better start saving to buy someone's used 3080 ;)

It certainly speaks to how spoiled I am for graphics that I could find anything negative to say about that video, but I do find the texturing in Bethesda games off somehow. The shininess on things that shouldn't be shiny perhaps? Not sure. Just something not quite right looking. Maybe that is the fault of the engine as you guys mentioned. Not sure. It looks very good, it just doesn't look quite right to me somehow. Certainly a nitpick and not anything that would dampen my enthusiasm for the gameplay they look to be trying to deliver.

It'll be really an achievement if they can make exploration and visiting "anywhere" on the surface of the planets attractive for any but the most keen space game explorers. No one has really done that yet imo. But given that you end up joining an exploration group fairly early I'm guessing they've put a lot of effort into this. It could be driven by side quests too of course.

The base building and ship building is a cool option. I wasn't expecting that in this style of game. That'll be a balancing act how that is implemented too I think. I wouldn't want it to be an impediment to advancing the single player story too much. That is a challenge when they try to mix gameplay types.

Not sure about the FPS combat. They didn't show us much but that looked maybe mediocre. Not a lot of evidence of good AI in the enemies in the scenes they showed. Just standing and getting mowed down. But they didn't show a lot so we'll see.

And the other thing that is good is if this launches well, it will put some real pressure on SQN42 to deliver. I think both of these games have pretty high expectations tied to them. I'm hoping they both succeed! If this launches well in 2023, that will take a bit of wind out of SQN42's sails perhaps given we don't have a firm launch date for that still.

Last edited:

On2wheels

I suspect that footage is at least a few weeks old, and things like the enemy name tag and health bar will be upgraded to something more modern looking. Definitely won't preorder but cautiously optimistic.

ipaine

And the other thing that is good is if this launches well, it will put some real pressure on SQN42 to deliver. I think both of these games have pretty high expectations tied to them. I'm hoping they both succeed! If this launches well in 2023, that will take a bit of wind out of SQN42's sails perhaps given we don't have a firm launch date for that still.

Well with regards to a timeline, the full showcase they did said that everything shown was going to be available within 12 months. My guess would be beginning of June 23 for Starfield, just within the 12 months.

That should give them time to continue to tweak and improve things, squash bugs, etc.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I wonder if you'll be limited to the rudimentary shape they had for the ship or if you could configure some far out stuff, like something looking similar to the NX-74205 Defiant or perhaps a Starfury on steroids from Babylon 5.

Latest posts