What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Rosetta @ Home - Setup Guide

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Ok, so I've got one PC (main rig) switched over to WCG under the hardware canucks banner and I just used the recommended projects (both cpu and gpu). I'll be setting up my secondary rig in a couple of hours when it finishes off the last FAH WU so is there anything I should look at when I set it up? (Like maybe specify rosetta@home / seti@home if those are the two main projects the team is working on?).

Since there are two rigs, it'd be easy for me to do different work on each one.
If you followed Chilly's install, it should be all fine. Just confirm the work buffer in the Network Preferences tab (I use 1 day).
Next question.... is there a way to turn off the screen saver on the world community grid? I want it to continue doing work, but I also want it to let the monitor go to sleep but I can't for the life of me figure out how..........
World Community Grid - Help... which is basically Windows' Screen Saver Settings.

sswilson

Staff member
If you followed Chilly's install, it should be all fine. Just confirm the work buffer in the Network Preferences tab (I use 1 day).

World Community Grid - Help... which is basically Windows' Screen Saver Settings.

Ok I'll have a look at running rosetta on the one machine, I'm currently running WCG on both but that'll be easy enough to fix.

Don't know why I didn't pick up on that screensaver info, I know I looked at it, but when I went into "preferences" I think I only got as far as the theme settings which had "none" in the screensaver slot, but of course that was only for the theme itself and not what was set for windows.

sswilson

Staff member
I've got my main rig set to not download any more WCG tasks so that I can uninstall WCG and install the proper boinc client (from which I believe I can choose to run WCG anywise) but holy cwap does WCG ever front load an awful lot of backup work. From the looks of it it might be a few days before it exhausts them all and that's with 12 threads. :)

I also made the mistake of installing the WCG data on my SSD rather than doing a custom install to my hdd. It wants 10G reserved which is quite a bit on a 120G OS drive, and when I limited it to 2G it filled up over 1G fairly quickly with results waiting for validation and I'm concerned that it'll keep filling it up.

LCB001

I've got my main rig set to not download any more WCG tasks so that I can uninstall WCG and install the proper boinc client (from which I believe I can choose to run WCG anywise) but holy cwap does WCG ever front load an awful lot of backup work. From the looks of it it might be a few days before it exhausts them all and that's with 12 threads. :)

I also made the mistake of installing the WCG data on my SSD rather than doing a custom install to my hdd. It wants 10G reserved which is quite a bit on a 120G OS drive, and when I limited it to 2G it filled up over 1G fairly quickly with results waiting for validation and I'm concerned that it'll keep filling it up.
You can reduce the number of tasks Boinc front loads by reducing the additional work buffer in your local preferences, this will override any settings from any projects web based preferences.

I usually keep my additional work buffer set between 0.10 and 0.15 on my 12 c/t rigs and around 0.03 to 0.05 on the multi-proc rigs.

AFAIK there is no real difference between the Boinc client you D/L from WCG and the regular version. WCG does test the different version for compatability with its software and stability which is one reason their approved version can be a little outdated ie. they offer 6.10.58 while the newest so called stable version available from the Boinc website is 7.0.28.

WCG uses alot of disk space because they insist on downloading the files for all of their different sub-projects, whether you run them or not...

sswilson

Staff member
You can reduce the number of tasks Boinc front loads by reducing the additional work buffer in your local preferences, this will override any settings from any projects web based preferences.

I usually keep my additional work buffer set between 0.10 and 0.15 on my 12 c/t rigs and around 0.03 to 0.05 on the multi-proc rigs.

AFAIK there is no real difference between the Boinc client you D/L from WCG and the regular version. WCG does test the different version for compatability with its software and stability which is one reason their approved version can be a little outdated ie. they offer 6.10.58 while the newest so called stable version available from the Boinc website is 7.0.28.

WCG uses alot of disk space because they insist on downloading the files for all of their different sub-projects, whether you run them or not...

That was the assumption I made originally when I DL'd from WCG, but for the life of me I can't find the ability to set Rossetta or Seti as a project. Unless I'm missing something it looks like I'm restricted to a very limited set of projects.

LCB001

That was the assumption I made originally when I DL'd from WCG, but for the life of me I can't find the ability to set Rossetta or Seti as a project. Unless I'm missing something it looks like I'm restricted to a very limited set of projects.
For 6.10.58 it should be under the Tools -> Attach to project or account manager dropdown menu.

Both Rosetta and Seti should show in the projects list, if not you might be able to add them by typing their URL in the provided box as long as WCG didn't remove that too.

Is it just WCG projects that show or do they offer others ??.

Upgrading to 7.0.28 might be an idea anywise as more and more projects are requiring the 7.xx client now...

sswilson

Staff member
For 6.10.58 it should be under the Tools -> Attach to project or account manager dropdown menu.

Both Rosetta and Seti should show in the projects list, if not you might be able to add them by typing their URL in the provided box as long as WCG didn't remove that too.

Is it just WCG projects that show or do they offer others ??.

Upgrading to 7.0.28 might be an idea anywise as more and more projects are requiring the 7.xx client now...

I'll have a second look, but my impression is that I'm only seeing WCG projects.

edit: Nope, it's there I was just reading it wrong. It defaults to making WCG projects easy to manage, but still allows you to go off "site" to connect to different projects.

Signed up for WCG, Rossetta, and GPUgrid, and I'm assuming they'll play nice in the sandbox together (mostly curious about how well the GPU tasks are handed off between the WCG GPU and GPUgrid projects).

The only question still remaining is if I should go back to a standard install which would then allow me to apply my sswilson boinc name to wcg. (WCG wouldn't allow it because the name was already taken by boinc).

Last edited:

LCB001

I'll have a second look, but my impression is that I'm only seeing WCG projects.

edit: Nope, it's there I was just reading it wrong. It defaults to making WCG projects easy to manage, but still allows you to go off "site" to connect to different projects.

Signed up for WCG, Rossetta, and GPUgrid, and I'm assuming they'll play nice in the sandbox together (mostly curious about how well the GPU tasks are handed off between the WCG GPU and GPUgrid projects).

The only question still remaining is if I should go back to a standard install which would then allow me to apply my sswilson boinc name to wcg. (WCG wouldn't allow it because the name was already taken by boinc).
If you are going to switch I'd do it now. The newer 7.0.28 version of Boinc does have a few so called upgrades to it that might take some getting used to but if sounds like it would be easier to manage/join other projects as compared to the WCG version.

The newer version also includes a larger group of projects already listed which cuts down on the number you might have hunt down and manually enter the URL for.

Watch out for those WCG-HCC GPU WU's they are very short and will cause lag, the GPUGrid WU's are much longer and don't. The difference in lengh might confuse the schedular and cause it to D/L an awful lot of the WCG WU's.

I usally run only the CPU units when crunching WCG but then I'm a badge-hunter and the GPU WU's don't do much for that...

sswilson

Staff member
The only thing I've found over the last few days is that the "snooze" feature doesn't seem to stay "stuck". I'll be happily running around slaying demons and then all of a sudden I'm at damn near a standstill, and yep, when I look at the client, it's out of sleep mode.

I've taken to closing it down completely when gaming. Other than that, everything seems to be running fine.

LCB001

The only thing I've found over the last few days is that the "snooze" feature doesn't seem to stay "stuck". I'll be happily running around slaying demons and then all of a sudden I'm at damn near a standstill, and yep, when I look at the client, it's out of sleep mode.

I've taken to closing it down completely when gaming. Other than that, everything seems to be running fine.
I've never used the Snooze feature so can't help you there.

Another nice little project you might like is NRG, it's Canadian and based at the Universite De Sherbrooke.

It dosn't have a consistant supply of WU's but when available they are really easy to run. There are some available atm so get them now if you want to try them.

HWC is ranked 5th overall for the project :canadianwave:...

Latest posts