What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

3 pin led fan connection but only 4 pin on the motherboard

sswilson

Staff member
Actually, he is a she and a 70 year old grannie :) . I did get the cpu fan going earlier as that had it's own dedicated plug on the motherboard, but it was the three fans that I was having issues with, and thought I would have to get an adaptor to fit a three pin into a four pin male plug. Thanks to your guys and your input I have been able to plug the 3 into a 4 and the fans are working well.

The next issue I have to tackle today is getting the video working on this 5i graphic enabled intel cpu, so I can get into the BIOS, and set up Windows 11 and then the LEDs software. Can't tell you how much I have learnt over the last few days, and more to go today. Ultimately, I am very happy that the system I am attempting to build is so much better than the pre builts I usually reach for. Thanks again for all your help guys.

Great to hear, maybe post a quick build log with pics once you're done.

(There's quite a few of us in here who aren't that far off from the 70 milestone.) :)

gingerbee

Awesome. My mom just turned 70 this month and there is no way she’d attempt this. 👀👍
my mom and mother-in-law live with me and the wife and my mother asks just how to open things on your PC she 73 in a few weeks she always thinks she is going to break something lol.

happy to have new members, loads of helpful folks here and welcome to HWC.

your motherboard has both 5v=3 pin and 12v=4 pin LED connectors, just like the pick Sswilson has shown, you dont want to plug a 5v in a 12v cause they can burn out the led's so just check which you have and plug in accordingly.

Great to hear, maybe post a quick build log with pics once you're done.

(There's quite a few of us in here who aren't that far off from the 70 milestone.) :)
Ya I am pretty sure most of us are 40+, would love some build picks

great_big_abyss

70 year old granny not-withstanding, it's a feat for ANYBODY to build up a computer and get it running, if they've never done it before. It can be very intimidating.