What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

5800X3D vs 5600X - Upgrade?

great_big_abyss

^^^ Yes, I'm in full agreement with you. The 5600X is a helluva bargain chip, and if someone has an older X570 board, it would make a great, cost effective upgrade.

Remember the old Ivy Bridge i5 3570K, and how well it performed in gaming workloads, and how much staying power it had? I feel like the 5600X is the more modern equivalent of that old 3570K.

great_big_abyss

I started playing Anno 1800. After a week and a half of play, my cities are large enough that the game is slaughtering my 5600X - 24-40 fps. I was getting 120fps at the start of the game.

Maybe I'm due for that platform upgrade sooner, rather than later. Too bad I just commited to a major bathroom reno in the next two months.

sswilson

Staff member
I'm wondering if your use-case is typical gaming workload, or (and this is what I expect) it's more about processing power.... if it's a large data set that's killing your FPS, wouldn't you be better served with a high core count than a higher single thread output? (As in a 5900/5950)

great_big_abyss

I'm not sure. I only saw approx. 50-60% usage on my CPU (from task manager), so I suspect it's only using half the cores, and it's the IPC that's killing me...

Unless it's the GPU that's struggling, but I doubt that. These city builder games are often CPU bound in late game.

EDIT: Actually, you may have a point with the cores. The game's probably using all the physical cores of the CPU, and isn't using SMT, perhaps...

Bond007

I started playing Anno 1800. After a week and a half of play, my cities are large enough that the game is slaughtering my 5600X - 24-40 fps. I was getting 120fps at the start of the game.

Maybe I'm due for that platform upgrade sooner, rather than later. Too bad I just commited to a major bathroom reno in the next two months.

I'm not sure. I only saw approx. 50-60% usage on my CPU (from task manager), so I suspect it's only using half the cores, and it's the IPC that's killing me...

Unless it's the GPU that's struggling, but I doubt that. These city builder games are often CPU bound in late game.

EDIT: Actually, you may have a point with the cores. The game's probably using all the physical cores of the CPU, and isn't using SMT, perhaps...
Interesting. I would also highly suspect CPU, but given it is a very specific game (and late game portion of it) I would definitely look into if it is IPC/freq/core/cache/etc sensitive before you put money into it (if you do). That game is a few years old, so I would hope the interweb should have solid info somewhere...I may take a look later out of curiosity.

Last edited:

Bond007

Interesting. I would also highly suspect CPU, but given it is a very specific game (and late game portion of it) I would definitely look into if it is IPC/freq/core/cache/etc sensitive before you put money into it (if you do). That games is a few years old, so I would hope the interweb should have solid info somewhere...I may take a look later out of curiosity.
I didn't wait for a quick look. I found this FYI:

lowfat

Staff member

sswilson

Staff member