What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

670 Issue

Dzzope

Just got an Asus DCII GTX 670 (not the TOP version but as far as I can tell they are exactly the same bar the out of box clock))

Quite happy, though I think some driver issues at the mo.. on 301.42 and getting an odd lock-up
Screen turns red and machine freezes..

Hoping it's just drivers anyway.. Don't want to try and return it in Ukraine. :( (Don't speak Ukrainian or Russian!)
Gonna try beta drivers later on when I get home.
Have tried re-seating it and the power is all good too (560 ti works perfect in the same slot and power)

Any other suggestions apart from beta / older 3xx drivers??

Have a bit of an OC on it but get this with or without the OC.

P.S, I havn't had an OC on my CPU for some time now ( was running a little hot last summer so I re-set to stock and haven't gone back since)
Would my i7 950@3.06Ghz be a bottle-neck to the 670?
What sort of in-game increases should I see at say 4.2ghz in BF3?
I'm not too worried about it as it runs everything max'd atm but free performance is free.. :p

Last edited:

Dzzope

After trying different drivers, stock and reduced clocks etc without any change to the situation I un-installed GPU tweak... didn't have a single crash for 1 day.

So I figured maybe it was a bad version/install so I downloaded it again and installed.. 15 mins after reboot and it crashed.
That said this time it was a black screen and I had a decent oc on it. Here is hoping that it was pushing the oc too high(though I was hoping for 1100Mhz rather than the 1070 or the 6300 on memory I had it at)

Other than a dodgy card / PSU (going to switch psu from the CM 750 watt to my slightly older Antec TX650 when I'm home in Aug) can anyone think of anything obvious that I can try..
Is there any settings in the NV control panel that may help? I'm going to try setting it so that it doesn't try idle or save power today and see if it makes it more stable

I bought the card cos of the cooler.. Which should allow me to push oc's past the reference version.. But at the moment it seems to be crashing cos of the oc utility. I hate when shit just doesn't work.. :(

Dzzope

Right.. Definately narrowed it down to the GPU tweak software. Over or under-clocked the machine will randomly lock-up with (at first red) a black screen now.

I thought it might have been my psu or connectors.. but it runs fine without the software running..

Any advise on if there is some setting that I need to change when using the GPU tweat software?

May try EVGA's oc package to see if it's specific or just general.

sswilson

Staff member
Maybe the voltage settings are fubarred on the software?

Not sure if the EVGA software will run on non-EVGA products, but Afterburner will.

pentiumvi

I had the same problem. Upon googling a bit, I read that this problem occurs due to the way the program reads the GPU info, I BELIEVE.

I didn't really go into it very far, as either Precision X from evga or Afterburner from MSI works perfectly fine.

Dzzope

Maybe the voltage settings are fubarred on the software?

Not sure if the EVGA software will run on non-EVGA products, but Afterburner will.

You need to register for evga's site then tell them what chip and manufacturer the card is and agree to a waiver of damage but you can download from EVGA.
Will update here with my findings for oc'ing

Considering the new way of ocing... my main aim should be for max tdp... then just bump the target mhz till it becomes unstable, then boost the voltage, rinse repeat till it become un-workable or no increase and drop it back a lil for 24/7 oc?
do the same with the memory after and find a good combo a lil under the max available?
What kind of voltage should I be looking at before I go too far on a 670 (Asus DCII)

I'm not very familiar with this oc style and haven't found any good guides as of yet.. :(

supaflyx3

Raise boost clocks, run benchmark, if it still hasnt reached the TDP yet, raise it again and repeat. If the temps are still in check and you can't push it any further, raise the TDP.

elmorejohn46

That was a problem with asus tweak software ,they have a new version out that is supposed to fix that I think it is version 25 or it will be the newest version on asus site.

Latest posts