What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Air compressors

crazyea

Yeah, never buy tools @ CT until they're on sale. :)

Case in point.... They've got a reasonably good selection of vices, but they're stupidly expensive unless you're getting them for 50% off (happens at least a couple of times a year).
And I got $120 back in Canadian tire money on a $400 bbq recently so watch for those triangle reward bonuses. They need to be activated so keep an eye out.

mattydies

I bought a used old small compressor on wheels as a 'portable' unit. It has the LARGE motor on the outside with a V-belt driving the compressor. This old style ran at lower RPM and was often MUCH quieter. The new ones use high speed small motors and are VERY noisy by comparison.

clshades

I bought a used old small compressor on wheels as a 'portable' unit. It has the LARGE motor on the outside with a V-belt driving the compressor. This old style ran at lower RPM and was often MUCH quieter. The new ones use high speed small motors and are VERY noisy by comparison.
Those are just too big for me to deal with honestly. The one I linked is very quiet.

danmitch1

Since they abolished Canadian tire money I never got the triangle card.. maybe its time to jump on board! Soo, I know these cheaper compressor motors are not made to run constantly.. Im not sure if a smaller volume tank that empties quick would be better than a large tank that takes longer to pressurize. That being said, you need a 60 gal tank or something for a proper chip clearing oil mist setup to "work" the way they are supposed to but, thats for a proper shop with real machines lol.. So im wondering if its even worth getting a larger tank.. It seems for my budget of max 350$ (realistically 300max would be preferable) I wont be able to buy a unit any bigger than 8 gallon used or new. basically everything I can afford will be running more than it should so maybe I should focus on cheap units?

Izerous

Folding Team
There are a series of HVLP spray guns that work off turbines that are intended to operate with higher duty cycles they don't actually have a tank and are basically a vacuum running on blow instead of suck so if it stops running it stops spraying paint. And I don't mean the basic pump driven airless sprayers at the hardware store for painting a house these are inteded to be used with automotive spray guns.

I DO NOT KNOW what the noise levels are like on these style but just maybe this style might be better for your use case. It might also not have the pressure as being a HVLP design (High Volume/cfm - Low Pressure/psi) they may or may not have enough oomph to blow away the chips but may be worth looking into a little closer.

danmitch1

There are a series of HVLP spray guns that work off turbines that are intended to operate with higher duty cycles they don't actually have a tank and are basically a vacuum running on blow instead of suck so if it stops running it stops spraying paint. And I don't mean the basic pump driven airless sprayers at the hardware store for painting a house these are inteded to be used with automotive spray guns.

I DO NOT KNOW what the noise levels are like on these style but just maybe this style might be better for your use case. It might also not have the pressure as being a HVLP design (High Volume/cfm - Low Pressure/psi) they may or may not have enough oomph to blow away the chips but may be worth looking into a little closer.
Fancy! just a tab bit out of my budget though.

Izerous

Folding Team
Fancy! just a tab bit out of my budget though.
I didn't go looking for the cheapest one possible just the first one I hit that one also includes the gun itself. You would liekly not want the gun laying around and is part of that cost.

danmitch1

I didn't go looking for the cheapest one possible just the first one I hit that one also includes the gun itself. You would liekly not want the gun laying around and is part of that cost.
Gotcha, ill search around and see what I can find, thanks for the suggestion!

danmitch1

So I think im thinking about this backwards. I think I should build my "soundproof" cabinet first. Take a portable speaker, play some heavy metal and test the decibels at different volumes with a sound meter app. Im thinking ill test what, 80-85 decibels first, put the speaker in the cabinet and then test again. If it reduces the sound to an acceptable level, I know I dont really need to focus on "ultra quiet" models and get a cheaper unit. What do you guys think?

Latest posts