What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

any Ubiquiti UniFi guru's here?

Entz

Dollars to doughnuts you're double NAT'd right now.
I would agree.

I guess one quick and dirty way to see is , what is the WAN IP? If its a private address, there is an extremely good chance its double NATed. It is possible that the ISP is doing it as well to save IPs as they are small, but that would be rareish and you would be 100% screwed lol.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
If thats the case USG should log you in to your ISP, or your 'modem' needs to be in bridge mode so the USG can route/dhcp properly. Can you bypass the additional items and just plug a computer directly in to the USG to adopt it via the controller?

Dollars to doughnuts you're double NAT'd right now.
the IT guys tried to program the USG somehow by having me plug it into crappy Dlink router I'm using right now, but whatever they did didn't work as when connected directly into the modem, no connection comes through.

edit - also, no double NAT...I only have a modem from the ISP, I had to provide the rest of the gear. everything works with the Dlink router plugged in, but it's limited to 100Mbps and I've got a 250Mbps connection. the stupid Dlink also overheats and crashes several times a day requiring a power cycle every time it happens.

if someone is game, I can plug the USG in and use my mobile connection to remote login so you can take a look?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
the IT guys tried to program the USG somehow by having me plug it into crappy Dlink router I'm using right now, but whatever they did didn't work as when connected directly into the modem, no connection comes through.

edit - also, no double NAT...I only have a modem from the ISP, I had to provide the rest of the gear. everything works with the Dlink router plugged in, but it's limited to 100Mbps and I've got a 250Mbps connection. the stupid Dlink also overheats and crashes several times a day requiring a power cycle every time it happens.

if someone is game, I can plug the USG in and use my mobile connection to remote login so you can take a look?

What is the 'modem' you're talking about? If its doing anything other than being a bridge, (aka, taking your out-of-house cable/fibre/dsl and converting it to an RJ45 cable) its double NAT'd.

Likely your setup should be:

Wire - Modem in Bridge Mode - USG - switch - ( aps & hardwired devices)

If your 'wire' is an RJ45 (mine is, as I have an ONT) then the USG should/could replace the 'modem' and log in to your ISP directly.

Edit: also you dont need to 'program' the USG. You should be able to plug it in to a PC (directly if required, even without internet), run the controller software, adopt the USG (and switch, and AP's) and set everything from the controller software.

Last edited:

Marzipan

What is the 'modem' you're talking about? If its doing anything other than being a bridge, (aka, taking your out-of-house cable/fibre/dsl and converting it to an RJ45 cable) its double NAT'd.

Likely your setup should be:

Wire - Modem in Bridge Mode - USG - switch - ( aps & hardwired devices)

If your 'wire' is an RJ45 (mine is, as I have an ONT) then the USG should/could replace the 'modem' and log in to your ISP directly.

Edit: also you dont need to 'program' the USG. You should be able to plug it in to a PC (directly if required, even without internet), run the controller software, adopt the USG (and switch, and AP's) and set everything from the controller software.
it's an Arris CM8200.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
it's an Arris CM8200.

So this is just converting your cable line in to an RJ45 I believe.

You're putting the cart before the horse; Internet isn't the problem currently if you cant take control of the unifi hardware. Plug your USG directly in to the Arris, plug the switch in to the LAN on the USG, and set up everything else as per normal.

Then, use the Unifi software/controller on your PC. It should see all unifi hardware as unadopted. Adopt it, and configure it all through the unifi software. See this for more info.

You'll have to set up the USG through this software as per your ISP's cable configuration setup. I dont have cable so I'm not sure exactly how this is done for your ISP; See this for specific USG help setup.

Marzipan

So this is just converting your cable line in to an RJ45 I believe.

You're putting the cart before the horse; Internet isn't the problem currently if you cant take control of the unifi hardware. Plug your USG directly in to the Arris, plug the switch in to the LAN on the USG, and set up everything else as per normal.

Then, use the Unifi software/controller on your PC. It should see all unifi hardware as unadopted. Adopt it, and configure it all through the unifi software. See this for more info.

You'll have to set up the USG through this software as per your ISP's cable configuration setup. I dont have cable so I'm not sure exactly how this is done for your ISP; See this for specific USG help setup.
that's just it, when all the UBNT gear is plugged in properly, no workie...swap the Dlink router for the USG, all workie.

edit - didn't see your links...reviewing now.

lcdguy

Folding Team
also i assume you have already made sure you aren't connecting the switch to the console port of "voip" port on the usg. Also make sure you are configuring your wan port on the usg with the same settings as the dlink router that works.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
that's just it, when all the UBNT gear is plugged in properly, no workie...swap the Dlink router for the USG, all workie.

edit - didn't see your links...reviewing now.

This is confusing. Is your internal network 'working' with UBNT, but you just dont have WAN?

Also make sure you are configuring your wan port on the usg with the same settings as the dlink router that works.

This is key.

Marzipan

yes, the WAN port on the modem is the same as the Dlink...it actually really confuses CityWest support because the Dlink only works on WAN2, not WAN1, like they expected. also, I never had to setup anything on the Dlink, I plugged it in and it worked immediately.

lcdguy

Folding Team
probably will need screen shots then of the usg config from your controller. Also are you using an vlan's on your network.