What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Anyone using old android phones / tablets that are no longer updated?

YoungMan

Any issues running it without updates? Certain apps crashing or unable to get certain apps due to outdated android? etc.

Moving on from my iPhone 6s. Was released in 2015 and the last updates will be this year; so about a ~7 year run.
Looking at the PIxel phones, and they're all going to stop getting updates around the 2 - 3 year mark. Security updates a bit longer.

Other option is to get the iPhone SE 2020, which is reasonably priced right now for a refurbished one with warranty. If it's anything like the first SE, it'll get updates until ~2026, which is pretty good for $300. The Pixel 4(a) is the same price, but that's only supported until next year, which is crap.

I want to move away from Apple but the Android value is so bad. Unless software updates just isn't that important; anyone still rocking a Pixel 1-3?

Fairphone will be my go-to once it's in North America. Right now, it's going to cost an equivalent of ~$900 CAD with no warranty or access to replacements parts outside of Europe.

JD

Staff member
Is the Pixel 6a too pricey for you? That will give you a fairly long lifetime of updates/support. Custom ROMs afterwards should still be relatively well maintained too.

Samsung A53 is a fairly popular choice of budget phone lately . The OnePlus Nord 20 might be worth looking at?

While I don't think anything immediately stops working if you're a few Android versions behind, it's ultimately up to the app developer if they want to continue support or not.

But an iPhone 6s to a iPhone SE 2020 maintains your same form factor. Any of these Android phones are significantly larger.

ipaine

I'm using a Samsung Note 8, and yes it is stuck on android 9. Thought it was going to get an update to 10 but never did. Drives me crazy that for a top end flagship phone they basically killed support 3 years after release, which was 5 years ago now and before android 10 even came out, so no reason not to have it.

The phone is still plenty good for what I need but can't install some apps now that require android 10. Hell my lotto app for wclc made me update only to find out that I couldn't update it cause it doesn't work on 9 anymore.

I looked at roms and such but honestly I just don't care enough to deal with it. Plus with working from home I don't use my phone that much. I guess I'll look at replacing it at some point, just not now.

LaughingCrow

I have an old Kindle Fire tablet still using the original OS. It was the simplest & cheapest way to carry around videos, pics & e books a long time ago. The videos/pics were for sharing with people who didn't have computers. E books for reading while doing home care or at the hospital.

I still use it for a few things: reference images for artwork; cooking recipe videos. And as an e reader if I figure I'm going to be stuck waiting somewhere.
I considered rooting it but probably not worth it for the trouble and the age of it.

I have an iPod Touch for loss of power emergencies that I can go wireless on a UPS powered modem. Mostly for weather updates. Rarely use it but keep it charged and ready. Weather is a lot quirkier and more dangerous now than it ever used to be.

Solace

Android has longer support life even if not offical esp for ASOP devices, I still run android 6 on two tablets for my TV since i'm too lazy to compile a new build for them. My S8 has android 12, I think official stopped at 8/9. ATV box still runs android 9

djbrad

Lineageos is a great alternative for android phones that are end of life.

If I move to android someday, I will pick a device on their compatibility list for sure. OTA updates too.

YoungMan

I'm using a Samsung Note 8, and yes it is stuck on android 9. Thought it was going to get an update to 10 but never did. Drives me crazy that for a top end flagship phone they basically killed support 3 years after release, which was 5 years ago now and before android 10 even came out, so no reason not to have it.

The phone is still plenty good for what I need but can't install some apps now that require android 10. Hell my lotto app for wclc made me update only to find out that I couldn't update it cause it doesn't work on 9 anymore.

I looked at roms and such but honestly I just don't care enough to deal with it. Plus with working from home I don't use my phone that much. I guess I'll look at replacing it at some point, just not now.
Yikes, that was almost $1k phone, not even 5 years of support; my condolences.

I guess nothing has really changed. I tried custom ROMs years back for out of date phones, and it was a lot of work to get it running properly and even then the ROMs would have bugs here and there. Randomly crashing or things not working.

Not the answer I was hoping the hear, but expected. Looks like it'll be an iPhone again...

Is the Pixel 6a too pricey for you? That will give you a fairly long lifetime of updates/support. Custom ROMs afterwards should still be relatively well maintained too.

Samsung A53 is a fairly popular choice of budget phone lately . The OnePlus Nord 20 might be worth looking at?

While I don't think anything immediately stops working if you're a few Android versions behind, it's ultimately up to the app developer if they want to continue support or not.

But an iPhone 6s to a iPhone SE 2020 maintains your same form factor. Any of these Android phones are significantly larger.
Yeah, the Pixel 6a is double the price of the SE 2020, but I don't see double the value. Considering the software update timeframe might actually be shorter than the SE 2020; this would be a very poor decision.

I've blacklisted Samsung and my life has improved.
Lot of people have strayed away from OnePlus; I've only known them as some flagship killer at a low price, but it doesn't seem to be the case now.

Pretty much left with Pixel, Fairphone, and iPhones.

Latest posts