What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Aorus Z390 & M.2 NVMe SSDs

djbrad

At least the drives are ok! One would think that in 2023, the bios would detect them, even unformated...

Now, are the nvme drives always detected in the usb enclosure?

Signal2Noise

Interestingly I decided to take another crack at this. I put the 980 Pro into the M2M slot and left SATA3 4&5 ports unconnected, AHCI on, CSM & Secure Boot disabled. BIOS saw the new NVMe again. I got excited and did a reboot and the SSD isn’t appearing again.

I’ve decided to just leave the NVMe connected and every now and then I’ll test things out. Will also try to find a custom BIOS to test.

Signal2Noise

In case anyone is still following this thread….

GOOD NEWS!
I accidentally stumbled upon a setting in BIOS that did the trick: “Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT)” was set to ‘Enabled’. I didn’t know what it was so I looked in the mobo manual and saw that although it doesn’t explain what its purpose is, it is set to ‘Disabled’ by default. So I disabled it. After a reboot into BIOS, boom! the new NVMe in the M2M slot appears!

I then got back into Windows and the drive is picked up in Disk Management. I named it and assigned a drive letter. I shall be moving the aforementioned Steam games to this SSD.

Overall what a headache. I was seriously pondering of procuring a new mobo/CPU but now (and still sadly) I can hold off on that expense.

Now I’m curious if I should go back and see if any previously revised settings (AHCI, CSM Support, SecureBoot, etc.) should be reverted? Maybe some more experimenting in the next day or so.

And I need to ge search what that PTT is all about.

L8R!

moocow

As far as I know, AHCI, CSM Support, and SecureBoot shouldn't impact NVME drive detection.
  • AHCI deals with SATA
  • CSM deals with older OS where UEFI isn't supported so if you are on Win11 then I would just turn it off and make it stay off unless you installed Windows 11 with it on
  • SecureBoot is more or less a Win11 thing

Signal2Noise

As far as I know, AHCI, CSM Support, and SecureBoot shouldn't impact NVME drive detection.
Those were all settings suggested to disable for troubleshooting NVMe detection from various sites posted on the interwebs.

I‘ll likely just leave everything as they are currently set now.

Update:

Ended up turning PTT back on since apparently that is considered TPM 2.0 by Windows. Windows 11 was trying to install 22H2 update and erroring out due to no TPM available. I reluctantly re-enabled it and the new NVMe remained detected which is good.

I’m pretty certain 22H2 was installed long ago but is not showing as listed in the update history. Win 11 Update is also now stating there’s no new updates available after the reboot. Weird.

Last edited:

sircambridge

OMG this is the *exact* scenario and exact solution that worked. I had a samsung evo 970 on the M2A, and I put a crucial p3 4tb gen 3 on the M2P on my gigabyte aorus z690i. after i put the new drive in, it would only detect the M2P new empty unformatted drive. I was able to get it to detect both by disabling the intel PTT, and went in and formatted the drive, and now it detects fine. thank you so much for discovering this