What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Are my timings optimal?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
@Sagath and @Skippman, are you guys actually setting FCLK/Infinity Fabric frequency under the AMD CBS and/or AMD Overclocking sections? I had to forcefully set it as 1867. For me, at least, 1900 needs a lot of voltage to even boot successfully, so I gave up even attempting to get it stable.

Based on other people, I believe 1.4-1.45V is generally okay for the RAM these days, assuming you have some airflow over them.
Yeah, I saw a decrease in benchmarks when set to 1867, generally. One run I'd get better, then the second Id get worse. 1800 was consistent, and only about 1% worse.

Skippman

@Sagath and @Skippman, are you guys actually setting FCLK/Infinity Fabric frequency under the AMD CBS and/or AMD Overclocking sections? I had to forcefully set it as 1867. For me, at least, 1900 needs a lot of voltage to even boot successfully, so I gave up even attempting to get it stable.

Based on other people, I believe 1.4-1.45V is generally okay for the RAM these days, assuming you have some airflow over them.
Was watching a Jayz video on this earlier today trying to get a handle on all of this. He mentioned that setting the Infinity Fabric actually decreases performance overall as it locks in the single core boost speed to whatever you set the Infinity Fabric to, rather than allowing it to peak up as high as it wants to go. Maybe I misunderstood what he's saying but that was the impression I got.

JD

Staff member
Could be, guess it depends on your CPU though. My 3900X barely ever boosts to 4.6GHz anyhow, it's a rarity even at fully stock settings. 4.4GHz is more the normal, and even with my FLCK at 1867, I still hit that. But that could be why I don't see any performance loss at least.

Bond007

Was watching a Jayz video on this earlier today trying to get a handle on all of this. He mentioned that setting the Infinity Fabric actually decreases performance overall as it locks in the single core boost speed to whatever you set the Infinity Fabric to, rather than allowing it to peak up as high as it wants to go. Maybe I misunderstood what he's saying but that was the impression I got.
hmmm. My understanding is that your ram and infinity fabric speeds are fixed from boot up to shut down. I could be wrong though.

Skippman

Ok, yeah, started looking into all the timings, trying to get Thaiphoon running on my machine to read the chip revisions, etc. I think I've reached the event horizon of the black hole and I'm going to slowly back away. Yes, I could eak out a bit more performance, but at what sanity cost?

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... I haven't played with current AMD memory OC/timings, but it sounds awfully similar to the old school socket 754/939 process that involved tightening every possible secondary timing against a super-pi bench until it started showing negative results and then moving on to the next secondary timing. Took weeks to dial it in. :)

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Heh... I haven't played with current AMD memory OC/timings, but it sounds awfully similar to the old school socket 754/939 process that involved tightening every possible secondary timing against a super-pi bench until it started showing negative results and then moving on to the next secondary timing. Took weeks to dial it in. :)
Its not that bad fortunately. Zen sees improvements until your ram just shits the bed and doesnt post/crashes, or you reach infinity fabric cap (as mentioned 1800 normally, 1900 if you're blessed).

Latest posts

Twitter