What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

At a loss

360Sagacious

Hey Guys,

I have a problem with a PC i built. I seem to have trouble booting up to bios. It freezes at the black screen with the Intel logo and "Press delete to enter bios..."etc. For it to boot properly I have to clear my cmos. But when I try to do any adjustments to bios setting and save and exit the system powers down and up again freezing me back to the black Intel screen. Later on my PC became completely unresponsive. I assumed it was the mobo ( ASUS P5Q deluxe) so I ordered a new one. While I waited I tested all the components I had. Ram (OCZ 800), Video cards 4870 X2), PSU (Corsair 1000 watt) and HDD (VeloceRaptor 300G) with an older Motherboard. All cleared testing. Including the PSU I also thought may have been a prob since the power down thing after bios changes but it passed all tests. When I received my new motherboard ( Maximus Formula 2 ) and installed everything, I got the exact same problem. So what I was wondering is after eliminated all the other components as being the problem the only thing left is the the CPU (Q9300). Can the problem I'm having come from the CPU. As I said I tested all my other components and before I fork over more money I'd like to know if my problem can be caused by a bad CPU? If not, I'm totally at a loss.

Thanks in advanced

360Sagacious

I tested all my components including the ram on a older ASUS board. I'm sure it's not a motherboard problem because same problem happened with a new motherboard. Only thing I haven"t tested was the CPU but the older board I used to test the components can't use the 45nm CPU's. But considering I'm eliminated the other components I'm guessing it's the CPU. Just wanted confermation of the possibility.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Again, it's possible - but I never had a bad chip, and never killed one... you did not answer my question regarding the ram. What did you use to test it - which software?

360Sagacious

I didn't software test the ram. Used it in my wife's computer I build for her. The PC booted no problem. I tested each one separate and then all together. My wife's computer didn't miss a beat and had no problem with them or booting issues. Also my CPU wouldn't overclock worth s#!t and also I get high temps at 42-51 Celsius on idle stock, so it may just be a defective cpu.

3.0charlie

You should use Memtest86+ to make sure the ram has no problems. Or use your Wife's computer again with your ram, and use memtest for windows - easier to test.

360Sagacious

I also used the ram from my wife's machine in mine and I still get the booting problem. So having switched ram with my wife's machine with no change in either PC and using my ram with success on my test motherboard, I think i can safely rule out ram at this point. Guess at this point I should just suck it up and try a new CPU and go from there.

3.0charlie

If you are confident, good enough. Next try to load default or safe settings in the BIOS.

360Sagacious

Well once I do get through the boot after cmos reset, i use default setting and the computer runs fine (except the high CPU temps and the fact it won't let me overclock it) but when I have to restart or turn off my machine I get the stalled boot again and have to reset cmos again to get it to work again.

3.0charlie

You could flash the BIOS to the latest one, but with such an unstable rig, I would highly unrecommend this...

High CPU temps?

Also, your issue could be caused by a short somewhere. Try booting with your board outside your case. I know it's a pain, but I've seen it before.

Latest posts