What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

AV problem: Red Green?

dadzilla

Hello to all, it's been a long time since I've been on here!
I am experiencing a very strange problem with my media computer:
- On boot up, everything is normal, normal colors
- After the boot up, the TV changes - it's colors go to a predominantly red/green over saturation.

Attempted remedies so far:
- Switched HDMI cords - no joy
- Switched video cards - no joy
- Switched TVs - no joy.

- Another odd thing: if I pull the HDMI cord and plug it back in, sometimes the colors return to normal. This is on either video card, and on either TV.

- If it matters: MSI GTX 1060 video card, MSI GTX 775, Samsung TV, LG TV, intel i7 chip. (can't recall which one, sorry) - this set up worked great for a year - the problems are recent.

Any ideas? Thanks if you read this far!

FreeKnight

My first thoughts would be that your card is dying, but if's happening with two different GPUs that's weird. Do you have a cheap or old card like a 720 or something you can test on the PC? It could be an issue with the MB and PCIe slot, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Since it's happening with multiple cords and TVs, that rules out the TV input and cable as likely contenders. If you have a laptop maybe try that using the same HDMI slot and cable.

I'd also check that you somehow haven't forced HDR to be on, or that it's not an obscure TV setting. HDR can throw off colors if it's not behaving on PCs (though in my case it's been more a brightness issue than saturation).

Worst case try a full nvidia driver removal, power down, remove the gpu and then see if the same thing happens on the motherboard HDMI slot? If it happens through the Intel HD driver on motherboard (via HDMI) then I'd suspect it's a TV setting/issue. If it doesn't, then I'd lean towards GPU problems.

dadzilla

OK, I just tried the HDMI off the motherboard, but the TV is not picking it up on any of the input sources. Perhaps I need to make changes under "display" control panel to use that one?

FreeKnight

OK, I just tried the HDMI off the motherboard, but the TV is not picking it up on any of the input sources. Perhaps I need to make changes under "display" control panel to use that one?
If the gpu is still plugged in you'll need to change the setting that dictates which output it defaults to. I think it's actually in BIOS for most MBs and not via the control panel, but I could be mistaken on that. It's been a while since I've looked into it.

dadzilla

OK, I entered bios, but could not see anywhere to switch display to the motherboard, even though it does have an HDMI connector. Puzzling.

FreeKnight

OK, I entered bios, but could not see anywhere to switch display to the motherboard, even though it does have an HDMI connector. Puzzling.
I would just disconnect the video card and try. It should automatically detect that there's no gpu and switch.

I'm assuming you have an intel chip with Intel HD onboard graphics (most do)

dadzilla

Yes, that's worth a try and easy to do. Thanks again. So far, oddly, the only solution that works is unplugging the HDMI cord and plugging it back in again. Works at either end. So strange.

sswilson

Staff member
I would just disconnect the video card and try. It should automatically detect that there's no gpu and switch.

I'm assuming you have an intel chip with Intel HD onboard graphics (most do)

Yes, that's worth a try and easy to do. Thanks again. So far, oddly, the only solution that works is unplugging the HDMI cord and plugging it back in again. Works at either end. So strange.

You'll need to either physically remove the vid card from the slot, or possibly remove the power cable to the card if it has one (not completely sure that would work as opposed to removing the card).