What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Best Radiator?

Calypso

Good old Daz has Darkside branded crossflow rad for a 240 at 55.00.
They're inexpensive. I have a 360 vertical crossflow up front and a conventional 240 up top.

clshades

I've always just bought low fpi rads and done push-pull. I found I didn't need to run the fans full tilt to get great cooling. The other thing I played around with was variable speed pumps. There's always going to be a sweet spot for flow speed and cooling curves. Funny enough the best temps I got was at half speed.

FreeKnight

I've always just bought low fpi rads and done push-pull. I found I didn't need to run the fans full tilt to get great cooling. The other thing I played around with was variable speed pumps. There's always going to be a sweet spot for flow speed and cooling curves. Funny enough the best temps I got was at half speed.
Now that slim fans are a fairly available product, and not at ridiculous prices, I'd like to see a comparison between a single 25mm thick fan in either push or pull and push/pull with 2x13-15mm fans. The thickness ends up being the same, within a few millimeters, but I'm curious how the fan's different airflow and static pressure will affect the results.

Jokester

You do lose performance from a crossflow radiator but they are convenient. Push pull isn't really worth it. But slow fans on a thin radiator is a nice setup. If you have enough rad space you get peace and quiet and good temps

JD

Staff member
Yeah, that's my goal, maybe "overkill" rad wise, but hopefully near silence.

I was thinking crossflow on the top as it should make my tubing efforts easier. The front, I was hoping for a multiport design with a port on the bottom so I could possibly just drill out the bottom of the case to have it accessible. Then I'd just need to prop the case up on something and drain it like a car :) Actually sitting it on a drain pan would probably work for that matter.

Daz's stock looks pretty low on things though and he's on vacation anyhow. Not that I have a CPU yet either, so I still have time...

Izerous

Folding Team
Surface area over thickness wins. Two 360 rads at 30mm thick will beat a single 360 60mm thick for example.

FPI really more dictates what fan is ideal. High FPI push/pull or high pressure fans are way more important and low FPI CFM's importance increases and decreasing any importance of push/pull since you need less pressure to reach effective temperatures.

Older designs copper wasn't pure copper, the copper tubes would be soldered to the fins with a non copper based solder loosing any benefit but the aluminum could be essentially welded making even the benefit of a copper rad negligible.

I could go on but in short that are a pile of things that effect a radiators potential and as long as it is in good condition I'd have very little problem just keeping what you already have unless their condition/cleanliness is in question or you need a different size. Worry about surface area, thickness, FPI kinda in that order and brand doesn't even belong on that list.

Calypso

You do lose performance from a crossflow radiator but they are convenient. Push pull isn't really worth it. But slow fans on a thin radiator is a nice setup. If you have enough rad space you get peace and quiet and good temps
Someone did a comparison of crossflow to conventional rads. Damn if I can remember. (old age).....there was a difference but it wasn't all that bad. My 2 rads from Daz are thin with low fpi count. I run my rad fans at 500 rpm (idle) up to just under a 1000 rpm under load. Very quiet. They're also a lot easier to keep clean because of the low fpi. Also easier to fix bent fins. I used to run a thick rad with a high fpi but it was a lot of noise and a lot of work to keep clean.

clshades

Someone did a comparison of crossflow to conventional rads. Damn if I can remember. (old age).....there was a difference but it wasn't all that bad. My 2 rads from Daz are thin with low fpi count. I run my rad fans at 500 rpm (idle) up to just under a 1000 rpm under load. Very quiet. They're also a lot easier to keep clean because of the low fpi. Also easier to fix bent fins. I used to run a thick rad with a high fpi but it was a lot of noise and a lot of work to keep clean.
Yes that's how I ran my last dual 360 rad setup. 1200 rpm for gaming barely spinning on idle. I mean it was almost dead silent when idle, which was great in the last place I lived as the PC was right behind the couch in the living room.

Jokester

I run my fans at 850rpm constant. Never changing. I hate hearing fans ramp up. Get enough rad space and it doesn't matter. Next move is to buy a watercool Mora and throw it in the corner on some QDCs

Izerous

Folding Team
I run my fans at 850rpm constant. Never changing. I hate hearing fans ramp up. Get enough rad space and it doesn't matter. Next move is to buy a watercool Mora and throw it in the corner on some QDCs
Once you go that way you never go backm if your not careful it will multiply

Latest posts