What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Completed Cabin Fever 2022 / Thermaltake Core V1 (Snow Edition)

sswilson

Staff member
Nothing fancy, but my better half got my 5600G gym build so I'm throwing together a Ryzen 5 5600 build to replace the 486 I'm currently using to stream my exercise tunes and visualizations. Most of the components are new, but everything except the motherboard was purchased primarily with budget in mind.

3D Printed Case.jpg 3D Printed Case PSU Mount Holes.jpg

Case is going to be a white variation of the open air case I've posted in the past. I made slight modifications to the PSU base in an attempt to incorporate PSU mounting holes. They're still not perfectly placed, but it only took a little bit of filing to get them right.

PSU box Front.jpg PSU box Back.jpg

PSU fan up.jpg PSU fan down.jpg

PSU cable bag.jpg PSU cables.jpg

PSU is a CM V550 Gold V2 (White edition). Picked it up on sale for $56 from a third party Amazon Seller. Yes it's CM, but it's an A listed PSU with a 10 yr warranty. (What could go wrong??? ;) ).

Looks great, only complaint is that I would have liked to see a white power cable to match the rest of the PSU (and white cables on amazon are stupidly expensive.... :) ).

CPU + NVMw.jpg 5600.jpg

Last up for now is the Ryzen 5 5600 (grabbed it @ $164) and the cheapest brand name PCIe 4 NVMe 512GB I could find. I'll be using it as the main storage drive (where most of the R/W will occur) and relegating a 256GB WD SN530 to the OS drive role in the secondary PCIe 3 slot.

Still waiting on the Motherboard (Amazon took forever to ship, and when the finally did... it started off on the other side of the border), Memory (CC sent me shipping notification on the 21'st, but that hasn't left the "shipper has created a digital label" phase since then so I'm going to try to cancel the order on monday), and one or two interesting adapters that will allow me to avoid looping cables from the front of the case.

edit: Oh, and I suppose I should add that the MSI 5700 XT Evoke from previous builds will be migrating over to this.

edit: Here's the front page links to all of the posts with pics:

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
May we also see pics of the 486? 🤓

Sure.....

486 LS.jpg 486 RS.jpg

As you can see, there's a slight overhang of the MB on the R/H side (limitation of how large I can print on my printer) which is why I've ordered a mitx board. I took a fit and ordered a white power cable, pretty sure I've got both an HDMI and a DP cable in white, and the one USB cable coming from the front (feeding my DAC) will be moved to the rear of the board via a USB C motherboard header adapter.

I'll also be retiring the Sata SSD you can see wedged into the L/H side.

edit: That's a very similar quality PSU in there (also bought sub - $60). Seasonic Focus GX-550 .

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Still waiting on the Motherboard (hopefully tomorrow) so not a lot of progress.

Case with PSU.jpg T-Force Memory.jpg

Power supply secured, and received the memory yesterday ($49.99 w/ FS @ CC).

No bling at that price, but I like the looks of it. Not sure what colour we'd call that.... gun metal grey? I'll let it run for a week or so after the build to make sure they're working fine, but after that, those stickers have to go!

(Oh, and I take back all the nasty things I thought about CC's CS when they brushed aside my concerns about the tracking number never leaving the "created" state). :)

sswilson

Staff member
So, I'm twiddling my thumbs tonight looking at the tracking for the motherboard (which like everything else I've ordered for this build is supposed to be here by a certain date (tomorrow in this case), but tracking doesn't seem to indicate it leaving Quebec yet). I'm browsing the promotional and support content for board while I wait and come across this little nugget on one of the pics pulled from amazon:

Screenshot 2022-11-29 202253 Doesn't support.png

Wait.... Wut????? It only supports SATA on the secondary M.2 slot?!?!?!

Fortunately, the specs paint a different picture?

Screenshot 2022-11-29 202500 Does support.png

All right, that's better. Crisis averted.

edit: While I was at it, I noticed that the rear (back of the board) slot doesn't accommodate short cards (my SN530 is 30) so I'm printing off one of those adapters one of the mods showed us a while back.

Found it, t'was lowfat:

Last edited:

Lysrin

I just read that. Pretty frustrating. Still don't see what MOB it was though, but I am sometimes blind.
No you're right. I don't think I see it either... unless I am also blind! lol Not in this thread anyway.

Latest posts