What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

could i burn out my mobo by....?

andynerd

(solved) could i burn out my mobo by....?

Could I burn out my mobo by:

Turning it on but forgeting to plug in the cpu power cable?
Forgetting to plug in the cmos jumper and turning it on?

My computer keeps crashing on the boot, I assume it may be a power issue ont eh mobo because everytime it crashes closer and closer to when i hit the power button. If i turn off the computer and the power supply and then turn it back on after a while it starts loading almost all the bios agin and then crashing

Last edited:

DarKStar

It might be a good idea to post your full specs - motherboard, power supply brand and rating, graphics card, RAM, how many sticks, etc.

What do you see on your screen, do you see something, does it post or do you see a black screen - when you say it "crashes" do you mean it turns back off or locks up ?
Do you hear any beeps?

If you have more than 1 stick of RAM, try removing the others and run with only 1 then turn on your system..... That can be a RAM issue / timing - if I understand correctly you tried resetting your CMOS right ? Try swapping sticks and see if it helps.

andynerd

The board is an asus P5Pe-VM there are two sticks of 1 gb ram when the computer crashes it actually just turns right off. It is also makes a electric hum the same electric hum it makes when it is turning off. It also makes a clicking noise when it turns off.

The cpu is a pentium D at 3.4ghz a core. The hard drive is a sata one and the psu is a 450W power supply aside from that i don't know anything else about it.

andynerd

I have another symptom when my computer turns on there is no signal from the VGA (it only did that when i forgot to plug in the cpu power cable but it was pluged in!)

Could my power supply be failing?

andynerd

Confirmed that it was the power supply it burned out, i noticed because it started smoking and making sparking sounds!

DarKStar

It was probably a generic, poor quality PSU and not providing enough power to your components particularly the CPU / graphics card (not enough amperage) OR simply bad PSU - but your humming and clicking sounds was a giveaway -

chrisk

Folding Captain
Holy multi-threads Batman...this guys has more threads than Spiderman...I was just thinking 'didn't I just post in here' but it was another thread.

Trying to help you guy you should just keep the one thread going mate to make it easier :thumb:

Latest posts