What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Crossfire + Dual monitor

Finch

hi everyone,

Can't find all the information im looking for on the net so i ask you guys.

Basically i have 2x r9 270x in crossfire and i would like to be able to play games on my primary screen (on the right) while monitoring fps, tempertures, gpu usage, internet and more on my secondary screen ( on the left)

primary screen is 24inch 1920x1080
secondary screen is 21inch 1680x1050

will thay work on their respective resolution do i have to set them both to the same resolution?

i read many things on internet like i have to disable crossfire and plug each monitors to seperate gfx or run games in windowed mode but is it possible to keep crossfire and not run in windowed mode? i dont care if i have to alt+tab to access the second screen anyways it will basically be for real time monitoring.

what can be done and how do i plug these monitors

Finch

Also why the hell does a intel hd 4000 trying to install it self in windows device manager when i don't even have an intergrated gpu. does my i5 3570k have the intel hd 4000? i thought only i3 had intergrated gpu's. besides i dont have vga port on my mobo. Mobo is asus maximus v gene.

am i missing something?

edit: wow nevermind found a display port on my mobo and my 3570k actually has intergrated. learned someting new today.

Last edited:

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Hmm not 100% on Cf setups but on my Nvidia setup my main monitor was for gaming. And other was for blueray movies while waiting in ques or farming.

But both my display's were 24" 1080p. Have you tried plugging both into main gpu? Id have one plugged in hdmi and other dvi should be straight forward from there setting up resolution. Setting up one as primary and other as secondary.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
You could check bios under peripherals and see if its in there disable in bios. If that causes issues can disable within windows via device manager to stop that from annoying ya.

enaberif

Also why the hell does a intel hd 4000 trying to install it self in windows device manager when i don't even have an intergrated gpu. does my i5 3570k have the intel hd 4000? i thought only i3 had intergrated gpu's. besides i dont have vga port on my mobo. Mobo is asus maximus v gene.

am i missing something?

ARK | Intel® Core? i5-3570K Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.80 GHz)

i3 and i5 both can have integrated gpu depending on model.

Finch

yes well sorry for that last post about intel intergrated gpu, wrote to soon. should of done more research. thought i knew alot but apparently not.

and yes it annoys me cause each time it tries to install it messes up my pc for unknown reason. i'll check bios.

i ran into some trouble when trying to setup 2 monitors. to start from the beginning. its been about a week or so i'm using 2x r9 270x in crossfire. theres only few mm gap between both cards and the top card was overheating. so i decided to go for watercooling. my cpu was already under water.

i installed the wc on those cards yesterday and i did a 24h leak test. everything worked fine. i then rushed to perform a small oc on the gpus without really testing stability. well i was going to test stability with skyrim but then in meantime i wondered to my self why not do a dual monitor setup so i can monitor my temps and loads while testing the oc with my game.

it is then i made some few research on dual monitor and crossfire and then posted on this forum.

so i did plug a second monitor and tested. everything worked fine at first. after 5 mins i got a freeze and bsod while playing skyrim. the overclock was probably not stable.

after reboot, crossfire didnt work anymore. infact crossfire option wasnt showing anymore. i uninstalled/reinstalled drivers but still same issue. i then tested cards individually and they both worked fine. reinstalled both and reinstalled drivers and then crossfire worked but now it was the overdrive option that was missing:angry2: wtf

mannaged to to repair that and now it is that intel hd 4000 that is giving me problems. i get reboots and instabillity and my memory is now shared. why is this hd 4000 appearing when it never been there before?

Shadowarez

Folding Team
I havent had pleasure of dealing with those Intel Hd gpus but from what iv read it could just be nit picking for drivers. Iv read mixed reviews bout disabling in bios causing issues but if it does just disable in dev manager.

Finch

I havent had pleasure of dealing with those Intel Hd gpus but from what iv read it could just be nit picking for drivers. Iv read mixed reviews bout disabling in bios causing issues but if it does just disable in dev manager.

well there's no option in the bios to completely disable the igpu. the only revelant option is to change the initial startup gpu from igpu to pci-e and i did that just now. i also deactivated the igpu from device manager but it still shares my memory 8gb ( 7.69gb usable). it never did that before.

now i'm wondering. since this igpu decided to show up. would it be a good idea to run my secondary monitor on it and use my crossfire on the primary display? I've heard dual monitor can be a pain on crossfire + it can reduce performance. If its not a good idea and i should not use it then please help me get rid of it and get my 8gb memory back lol

Finch

worked this out by doing a fresh windows install. for some reason the intel hd 4000 was conflicting with my discrete video cards and the screen went black as soon as i activated it so i connecting both monitor to my crossfire.

i'll see how games goes on this dual monitor setup.

Latest posts