What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Desktops

the_guitarboy

Got a bunch of older boxes sitting around

Lenovo M800 SFF's
i5-6500
No HDD or SSD, got none left

Lenovo M93p - Full Size
i5-4570
No HDD or SSD, got none left

I could probably outfit each with 8-16GB of RAM

Custom Built Box
i5-6500 w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212
Gigabyte GA-z170x-Gaming Motherboard
2x8GB 2133 HyperX Fury RAM
500GB Crucial MX500 SSD
EVGA 80+ White 500W PSU
NZXT H150 Black case

sswilson

Staff member
Complete i5 6500 corporate boxes (refurb) can be bought for a little over $100 so there's not a lot of value to one without storage.

the_guitarboy

Yeah, I was thinking $30 for the M93p's and $50 for the M800's with whatever RAM I can scrounge up.

Either that or they get recycled...

Samir

I'm not sure what happens up there in 'ewaste recycling' , but here in the US 'recycling' is really just dumping it all into a landfill. So if it's the same there, it would be better off even given away to someone who will use it until it finally dies.

moocow

I'm interested in the CPU and some extra OEM RAM if you're interested. My HP SFF is running on an i3 of the same gen (2C/4T) and 1x8GB of Kingston memory. Would like to upgrade it to 16GB and actual 4C/4T.

Samir

Hear Best Buy collects E waist and properly disposes it. :)
The sad reality is that most of the companies don't, even when they say they do. 60 minutes did an investigation and followed a container to its final destination...

Of course, that was USA, so I don't know if Canada has stricter law enforcement. (I hope they do!)

And reuse is the first step in recycling so if someone can use an old PC as just an alarm clock for the next 10 years, why stop them?

ZZLEE

Older boards and chips have allot of gold in them. Yes use them til they fail. :)

Latest posts