What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Dragon Age: Origins, Crashing before the game even loads.

TokeR

When I click "Start New Game" on the in game Menu the game goes to a loading bar loads to 15% then everything freezes. I have to hold down Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out as Alt+Tab does not work.

Once out of the game all there is on the desktop is the "Dragon Age: Origins has stopped working" message and that does nothing.

I have tried turning all the settings down the minimum, even though I doubt my computer couldn't run them at max but the game still crashes the exact same way.

I tried installing Drivers from Nvidia.com instead of EVGA.com.

I tried verifying integrity of game files on Steam.

I even tried running in compatibility mode for Windows vista SP2, even though this is a fairly new game so I don't know why that would help, just thought it would be worth a shot.

All of my other games work fine. Temps are fine when the crash happens..

I really have No Clue why this is happening.. anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

sswilson

Staff member
DirectX maybe?

Has it worked in the past? If not, I'm wondering if there's an issue with the initial authorization from the Bioware website. Are you running a software firewall? Maybe it's blocking access.

edit: Try disabling your soundcard as well, maybe those drivers aren't playing nice in the sandbox.

Last edited:

TokeR

It installed DirectX as part of the game install (not sure why but it re-installs with every game I download) I have never played it before I bought it yesterday and let it install overnight (15-20GB Game & D/L speed of a little over 600kb/s that always drops down haha).
I have also registered it to both Bioware.com & EA both validated successfully.

I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus & Spybot: S&D, Not sure about firewalls if one of them has one by default then yes.. but would that make the game crash on upon loading?

Thanks mate.

sswilson

Staff member
No guarantees, but the first couple of things I'd try is temporarily disabling your security software, download and install the latest version of DirectX, and try disabling your sound card just to see if that resolves the issue.

Aside from that... do you have an external/secondary drive that you can back up your steam games to so that you don't have to re-download them??? If so, you might want to consider a fresh install... maybe one of your previous games has left something nasty in the registry that conflicts with DAO.

TokeR

I will try everything in the order you've listed them, thanks mate. if I get any problems I will post back maybe tomorrow but it's getting a little late here so I think I will do this then go to bed so don't worry about checking back for a while.

Really appreciate the help, thanks.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh.... It never crosses my mind that the time / season is 180 deg out of sync for our friends from "down under"..... ;)

If you do find a resolution, please be sure to post back what the fix was.... there's at least one report (through google) on the exact same error message, but at the moment, no resolution listed.

LaughingCrow

It installed DirectX as part of the game install (not sure why but it re-installs with every game I download) I have never played it before I bought it yesterday and let it install overnight (15-20GB Game & D/L speed of a little over 600kb/s that always drops down haha).

I've never used Steam, so I have no idea how that works. But presumably from your description, once you initiate downloading, Steam installs? I'd also check for patches - the PC version is up to 1.04

From the sounds of the download speed and length of your download, I suspect you've got a corrupted download file/files which is why it crashes immediately. If it were a system problem with the game, video card, drivers, etc. you'd at least be able to get the initial configuration screen where it checks your system out, then to the start up screen where you choose to start a new game, resume an existing game, switch characters, etc.

First image is the initial startup where you can configure the audio, video, splash screens, etc. and start the game. The 2nd image is where you start a new game, resume existing game, etc...

Attachments

• DA_Origin_start.JPG
    DA_Origin_start.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 6,246
  • DA_Origin_start2.JPG
    DA_Origin_start2.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 5,361

TokeR

Alright, we have got it working!
I always try to post back with results because google'ing the error has helped me so many times.

As I had said I ran the 'VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GGAME CACHE...' thing (found in: right click game > Properties > LOCAL FILES) But when i first ran it nothing happened it quickly launched to 100% and finished with no problems but..

Then I did all of the things Sswilson told me to do "temporarily disabling your security software, download and install the latest version of DirectX, and try disabling your sound card just to see if that resolves the issue." I was tired so I couldn't be bothered with trial and error so I just did them all then tried to run the game, it still crashed the exact same way but then I decided to try running the 'VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GGAME CACHE...' thing again and it actually started fixing files (took about 5 minutes) and had to download 6 files that I were not downloaded for whatever reason.

So thank you very much Sswilson, one of the things you told me to do must have let the 'VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GGAME CACHE...' thing work and also thank you LaughingCrow for helping even though I had fixed it before I got to your message but, at least it looks like you were correct and it was corrupt files.

I love this forum :) always so helpful!

sswilson

Staff member
Great to hear! Now get out there and enjoy the game!!! (Good for some lost days...... :) ).

Latest posts