What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

FAH-Addict Hosts Their Own -Bigadv Optimised Linux Kernal

LCB001

KaySL over at FAH-Addict.net has posted a new version of their optimised Folding kernal, as always use at your own risk...
Here is the second edition of our FAH-optimized kernel all you BigAdv addicts, based on version 2.6.37 of the Linux kernel. Frodo, our optimisation wizard, has hand-tailored this version specially for Intel Core machines.

List of features:

• Special optimisations to take full advantage of Intel Core 2 / Core iX processor capabilities
  • Preemption mode enabled
  • 100Hz kernel timer
  • Scaling to support an unlimited number of CPUs
  • Performance mode (forces the i7's turbo mode to always be active)
Download 64-bit kernel DEB file
Download 64-bit kernel headers DEB file

Warning: Don't use this kernel if you're running a GPU client; this is meant purely for dedicated machines running only the CPU clients.

Please remember that this kernel is provided without any guarantees from the FAH-Addict team. It was tested on an Ubuntu 10.10 machine, and should work fine on Debian systems. We can't be held responsible for any issues caused, however unlikely. Install it only if you're capable of repairing your machine, or reinstalling your OS. Do not install on a production machine.

ilya

This is just a custom kernel, not an OS. In theory it should "plug" into any Linux distro to boost F@H performance, so you really just need to find a distro that works for you.

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
I might try this on my SR-2 (running Debian 6.0) and see if it makes any difference. Well, in fact I should probably tweak my bios first and test it.. THEN do the kernel thing. heh. I need more hours in a day.

enaberif

The beautiful thing about linux is that you can run MULTIPLE kernels for testing purposes.

My only concern is the module support which only happens during the compiling stage of a kernel.

Jmtyra

Good info -- thanks for the link. Any ideas on how to replace the kernel? I'm not that familiar with Linux, unfortunately.

Latest posts