What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Family oriented Tablet

Wicked15

Hi All,
Looking for suggestions on a family oriented Tablet. Undecided on the exact price point yet but likely around $300-$350 (I have seen what is available currently in the BST thread)

Usage;
-Web browsing
-Reading Apps
-Netflix/Displey+(In HD)
-Youtube
-Screen size 10"
-Ability to use a dedicated Facebook/Instagram app (not via web browser)
-This won't be for productivity or work related.

Will I need 2gb/ram or 4. Storage I'm guessing I would need a safe 64gb, and is it better to have eMMC or SSD for tablet?
This is my first tablet so I don't really have a list of things that I like or don't like, or what I need to be looking for so I'm having trouble deciding.

I don't really want an iPad, and the Fire Tablets don't have dedicated Youtube or instagram apps and also I vaguely remember reading something about them being really restrictive as far as how the app store works and the integration of Alexa.
The reason I specified Netflix in HD is because I was looking into the Lenovo Tab series since I get a discount through work but there was some instances I read about where the tablet didn't support netflix in HD and there was no connection with specific models, or release date so it was a coin toss until you got it in your hand, loaded the app and check the video stream info.

I don't really know what all the differences are between Android, Chrome, and I also don't know anything about the difference storage types to look for or avoid(I don't know
Windows / iOS. iOS is basically just a like my iPhone, windows is just like Windows 10 on PC but in tablet mode.

Some quality of Life features that will likely not fall into this price range are,
-Pen/drawing capability
-Some sort of case with a kickstand
-Keyboard maybe?
-Expandable storage via Micro SD cards? (Depending on factory storage size)

Thanks;
-J

JD

Staff member
Only thing that really fits into your price point would be the Galaxy Tab A7 32GB. If you can move up to iPad price, the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite ticks more boxes for $429 as you get 64GB and stylus included.

Dwayne

The Galaxy Tab S6 Lite is a great unit, and I picked it up earlier this year for $379, a sale price I guess. I checked the reviews and such and it is highly regarded.

As for the Amazon Fire units, I know that the earlier gen units you could install Google Play store and get around just using the Amazon apps. If you do a search on the net you should find a number of sites showing you the steps. We did this in February when my daughter wanted a new tablet, but on a budget. But, I can't vouch for the generation of the tablet in Feb compared to now. All I know is that the one we bought, we added the Play Store, had no issues, and she is still using it today without an issue.

sswilson

Staff member
Or else, perhaps a lovingly preserved Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e that a certain long term member has for sale in the BST??? ;)

FraQles

The Galaxy Tab S6 Lite is a great unit, and I picked it up earlier this year for $379, a sale price I guess. I checked the reviews and such and it is highly regarded.
I use this tab. Seems like a very good choice. The only issue it's pen is unusable if you use case with magnet lock. Magnets ruins the positioning completely. It's not a big problem but quite uncomfortable.
Not sure if this problem exist with original case, It was not in stock when I bought my tablet so I had to buy a replacement from Ali-express.

Latest posts