What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Getting started mining; Eth vs BTC,

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
+1 on nicehash.

Use Nice Hash OS: https://www.nicehash.com/nhos-mining

Set TDP to 'Low' which would probably yield best ratio to power consumed vs rewards and lowest tear on the GPU.

Also do note:

STOP using Phoenix miner immediately!​

--
It has come to our attention that Phoenix miner is no longer available for download from its original download location. Control shasum from new download locations does not match the value published by the developer on his channel! This brings the possibility that the Phoenix miner's author wants to cover its tracks and disappear or even do something malicious.

We have immediately disabled Phoenix miner from NiceHash Miner, and we advise everyone to stop using Phoenix miner immediately!

Phoenix miner is a mining software from an anonymous author. It is not digitally signed, and no one knows who the creator is. This brings serious risk to anyone who will continue to use this software! Do not try to download Phoenix miner from any 3rd party source since it could be fake and malicious!
--

Source:

Cheers.
The TLDR on this is that it's assumed to be FUD by NiceHash to try and get people to move to their new platform, or that they were honestly just trying to 'protect' their client base...

Anyways, the dev from Phoenix has been publically out and about refuting this.

anabioz

The TLDR on this is that it's assumed to be FUD by NiceHash to try and get people to move to their new platform, or that they were honestly just trying to 'protect' their client base...

Anyways, the dev from Phoenix has been publically out and about refuting this.

Good to know, just remember that there are only two real currencies that the world cares about - BTC and ETH. Regardless of what platform you use to make your income, nicehash in a longer run might be a better bet.

FreeKnight

Well as of yesterday I'm up and mining on nice hash. Had two crashes, but they seem to be related to having enabled CPU mining, so that's disabled for now. Will definitely have to play around a bit with settings, but might look at moving into a bigger case for a while anyway as I'm sure the NCase is a bit of a hotbox inside while mining.

anabioz

Well as of yesterday I'm up and mining on nice hash. Had two crashes, but they seem to be related to having enabled CPU mining, so that's disabled for now. Will definitely have to play around a bit with settings, but might look at moving into a bigger case for a while anyway as I'm sure the NCase is a bit of a hotbox inside while mining.

Good stuff, and you are spot on - don't enable cpu mining. Are you running nicehash os ? pci-e risers or via regular pci-e ports?

draemn

Any advice on setting up nicehash on a 3070 right now? I have spent the last 6 months hearing people say you can't lose money mining on a 30 series and wouldn't mind using this winter weather as an excuse to make $5 while my computer is sitting idle.

Do I need to look up information on under-volting a 3070, is there somewhere to check if I have LHR card or need certain drivers? I personally don't like the idea of mining, but the idea of free money is tempting me after having read so many posts about people paying for their 30 series cards in less than a year (even after electricity costs).

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
If you're just using one card I'd just use nicehash.

Its super easy, they have great walk-throughs to guide you. You dont need to know anything at all to start mining. Their software will even undervolt/overclock your GDDR on your 3070 automagically.

Once you want to cash out to fiat (CAD) there are a couple steps to go through, and fees to pay, but its not overly difficult either. Although I've just learned they now are charging fees as of Jan 1 to withdrawl to Coinbase.

sswilson

Staff member
So basically just go for it, what am I waiting for? lol :)

Yep, the shadiest part of the whole thing is setting up a way to get your money converted from BTC to Cash (NH converts to and pays out in BTC in spite of mining Eth). I don't remember for sure which one it was, but either Coinbase or Paypal required a verifiable government ID image to be uploaded during the registration process.