What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

GlacialTech UFO V51 CPU Cooler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkG

Value

Value

The term “Value” is such an amorphous term that it truly has different meanings for different people. For some a CPU cooler is only as good as it overclocking potential, for others it is how quiet it does its job; for others still it’s how effective it is for its cost. We here at HWC try to provide as many answers as possible for the term “Value”. Hopefully by this point in the review people looking at OC potential or loudness levels will have a fairly good idea of what its Value is. For the “best bang for the buck” crowd we have included a chart below showing how much each 1*c less costs when compared to Intel’s FREE stock cooler. No consideration has been made for noise levels, “looks” or any other extraneous factors; this is just raw performance vs. monetary cost. For any cooler which performs worse than the Intel stock cooler a rating of “FAIL” will be given. For any cooler which has a “Value” of more than $10 per 1*C a rating of “FAIL” will be used in the graph but the chart will list its actual “value”.

All prices are based on either their MSRP (if no e-tailer prices were available at review time) or the online price they sold for at the time of their review. IF a CPU cooler does not include a fan the price of a Scythe F has been included ($12).

To make it as easy as possible for you to modify this ratio we have also included the various coolers temperature difference so if you do come across one of them on sale you can easily modify its “Value” rating. We here at HWC are in no way saying this is the definitive answer to “Value”, rather it should be considered another tool to help you make your final decision. After all something is only as “valuable” as what you consider it to be.

Q6600 Cooling Value

Please Note: This chart has be calculated based upon the differences between Intel stock cooler’s average load at its highest OC on a Q6600 @3.0GHz versus various after market coolers average load temperatures (in their stock configuration with stock TIM) also on a Q6600 @ 3.0GHz.

q6600_cost.jpg

q6600_cost_chart.jpg

With performance levels as they were, the best thing about the UFO's Value is that at least it wasn’t a "fail". It was close but it did manage to somehow keep the cost below $10. While that may not be a ringing endorsement…it’s the best we can think of for this cooler.

i7 920 Cooling Value

Please Note: This chart has be calculated based upon the differences between Intel stock cooler’s average load at its highest OC on a 920 @ 3.42 versus various after market coolers average load temperatures (in their stock configuration with stock TIM) also on a 920 @ 3.42GHz.

i7_cost.jpg

i7_cost_chart.jpg

As we have said earlier….this is NOT an i7 cooler, regardless of what is stated in the marketing materials, in the manual or on the box. Are there any redeeming areas when it comes to these results? Nope.

Last edited by a moderator:

AkG

Conclusion

Conclusion

Simply put, the GlacialTech UFO V51 is a classic example of form over function. On the surface there really isn’t a lot to find fault with, as it’s a fairly standard downdraft cooler with a low noise profile. Unfortunately, when you start to use it, you quickly realize the exterior bling means nothing when it comes to performance.

Maybe we wouldn’t be so hard on this cooler if it had a usable installation procedure…you know one which the engineers actually put some thought and testing into. However, this cooler's biggest sin is that of PRIDE simply because GlacialTech has the audacity to call this a “Gaming Solution”. We're still trying to figure out what makes ANY cooler a "gaming" unit but what we can tell you is that this isn't it. Indeed, it’s hard to reconcile let alone justify the use of low noise fans when GlacialTech states their intended market is PC gamers. When you are running Nvidia's and ATI's powerful (and noisy) GPUs, does it really matter how much more quiet your CPU cooler is? Would it have mattered at all to have higher speed fans with better cooling performance?

As it stands, we just cannot recommend the UFO as there are better coolers out there with MUCH easier installation processes that fill every possible point of the air cooling market. If for whatever reason you look at this cooler and think “I've got to have this to finish off my tricked out, yellow PC”….go for it! Just remember to block off a few hours and a good and large alcohol budget for installation (might want to throw in a few bucks for antacids and headache medicine while you’re at it); for everyone else we recommend staying far, FAR away from this so called “Gaming Solution”.

Pros
- Pretty looking in a plastic sort of way
- i7 “compatible” or at least as compatible as the other options
- Quiet fans

Cons
- Price
- No backplate
- “Minimally Exceptional” / Sub optimal installation procedure
- “Minimally Exceptional” / Sub optimal performance results
- Way to much plastic used
- Built for gamers? Nope.

Last edited by a moderator: