What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

got a strange one this morning

gingerbee

Ok, so this morning I noticed my 5g wifi on my phone isn't working, so I went into network settings and there's another wifi broadcasting very close to me called Vport-18CEADS8 so I am like well who is this so I clicked on it to see if it's protected, thinking my neighbors might have it set up wrong it connects, so it's wide open, now I am going oh that's not good but then I use the Ubiquity app to connect to my AP and at the same time realize that if I can connect to my AP which is set up in stand-alone mode then this Vport is on my network ( so it's me that has wifi with no password protection right now ) WTF is going on I would never do this.

long story short, my AP magically this morning changed the name of my 5G wifi to this random Vport and removed my password wtf is that all about. never had this happen before the only thing that is strange is my 5G wifi when I have to restart the AP takes a very long time to turn on.

so anyone have any ideas I monitor my internet all the time so I know there is no one on there who shouldn't be but I just can't explain this, it didn't do a firmware upgrade I think I cant be 100% on this cause Ubiquity has really changed the way the stand-alone app shows or asks if you want to upgrade your firmware.

any thoughts or hell guesses thanks for reading all have a great day

clshades

Ok, so this morning I noticed my 5g wifi on my phone isn't working, so I went into network settings and there's another wifi broadcasting very close to me called Vport-18CEADS8 so I am like well who is this so I clicked on it to see if it's protected, thinking my neighbors might have it set up wrong it connects, so it's wide open, now I am going oh that's not good but then I use the Ubiquity app to connect to my AP and at the same time realize that if I can connect to my AP which is set up in stand-alone mode then this Vport is on my network ( so it's me that has wifi with no password protection right now ) WTF is going on I would never do this.

long story short, my AP magically this morning changed the name of my 5G wifi to this random Vport and removed my password wtf is that all about. never had this happen before the only thing that is strange is my 5G wifi when I have to restart the AP takes a very long time to turn on.

so anyone have any ideas I monitor my internet all the time so I know there is no one on there who shouldn't be but I just can't explain this, it didn't do a firmware upgrade I think I cant be 100% on this cause Ubiquity has really changed the way the stand-alone app shows or asks if you want to upgrade your firmware.

any thoughts or hell guesses thanks for reading all have a great day
Back in the day we used to hack into wifi routers all the time. It's not as hard as you think. Have you checked the log in the router to see if anyone logged in as admin and made any changes?

Bond007

Crazy. Sounds like a factory reset occurred...but was it done by someone you know, someone you don't know, or by a random hardware/device level reason/glitch...🤷‍♂️

I agree with clshades in checking the log to see if it has any info.

gingerbee

well from what I can tell there is no way to see any logs in stand-alone mode, they have limited what you can do on it now.

Also this morning I noticed this network share handler called "Twonky NMC queue handler"

I have checked the log of the bell HH4000 nothing there.

I have now removed the AP from the network to see if things magically go away IE devices and things like the handler

edit OK so the logs don't show anything I am starting to think my AP has something goofy going on with it, my passwords are not easy to guess and yes there are brute force methods but no one in 100 yards of me has any clue about pc stuff in fact most don't even have pc lots of older folks around me

Last edited:

gingerbee

ya I think I am dealing with 2 different problems. 1st AP is acting nuts,2nd twonky showing up cause I used a drive from my old neighbor to give him some TV shows I have he wanted to watch, but it could also be when I installed a WD utility to check a WD drive out.

the thing I can't understand now is I am trying to change my password on the AP its changing in the App but now its showing two of the same 5g wifi now, not sure wtf is going on

Last edited:

Bond007

Go for a factory reset of all networking devices and reconfigure?

EDIT - sniped by sswilson!

Caldezar

The VPort ID is the identifier to your AP's internal NIC Virtual Port. It sounds like something happened to force your AP to broadcast the VPort ID for Mesh networking. This functionality is built in to Ubiquiti for wireless mesh, but doesn't typically broadcast as an open SSID I don't think? I would take a look at your mesh configuration. If all your AP's are wired in, then I'd suggest disabling mesh altogether.

JD

Staff member
I feel like Ubiquiti is heading towards forcing you into their entire ecosystem. If you want to stick with using their APs, I'd recommend buying a UDR/UDM to use as your router and run the Network app.

Everything works "better" if you use their products end-to-end, very similar to the way Apple does things too.

Latest posts